Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Ski Crazy!: Mostly great. Shame about the entertainment.

Ski Crazy!
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Alaska Cruises

Mostly great. Shame about the entertainment.

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I had only been on one other cruise, to the Caribbean with Celebrity, so wasn't sure what to expect with NCL. I was very pleasantly surprised. Embarkation was handled very smoothly. Our balcony cabin was midships and although quite small was extremely well designed with plenty of storage space. The ensuite was fine for Mum and I but someone over 6ft tall and/or more than about size 20 (UK) would struggle with the height and narrow doors.

We ate mostly in the main restaurant. The service could have been a little more professional but everyone was very friendly and apart from once we always had a window table. The café would get very busy early on for breakfasts but we always found a seat quite easily. We ate breakfast in the main dining room on sea days. The Azura restaurant was nice but much noisier than the main restaurant. One night we ate at La Cucina which was very good.

Disembarking for trips was so easy. I could never understand where everyone else was. More Perhaps they stayed on board or left later. We took the early times for trips which gave us time to walk around the towns after the trip. We did the float plane trip to Neets Bay from Ketchikan, the Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau, the White Pass Train in Skagway and Butchart Gardens in Victoria. All extremely highly recommended.

The only really disappointing thing was the entertainment. The sound systems weren't great. The stage settings and the performers seemed a bit amateur.

Alaska is an amazing place and I would love to go back. I would certainly consider NCL in future. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Mendenhall Glacier

Amazing place. The falls were fantastic. Go on the early trip and walk to fall first, then do the visitor centre. Much quieter at the falls then.

Float Plane

Went to Neets Bay to see the Salmon Hatchery and watch bears. Unfortunately no salmon running so only saw a couple of bears in the distance. But well worth it for the flight and the scenery.

White Pass Scenic Railway

Really interesting. Make sure you sit on the left side for best views.

Butchart Gardens

Absolutely stunning. The most amazing gardens I have ever been too. And I live in SE England!