Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Iheart2cruise: This was everything I hoped for and more!

Iheart2cruise
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

This was everything I hoped for and more!

Sail Date: August 2014

Wow! Like many of you I read reviews religiously. The Getaway is an awesome ship. Husband and I had a wonderful time. Yes, the casino is smoky. Yes, the pool is crowded. It's to be expected. We've cruised on Carnival, RCL and now NCL. We in our late forties. One of us is closer to 50.

THE ROOM.

We had an AFT balcony on the deck 14. The rooms are small, but not by much. There was plenty of storage for the two of us. Storage was shelves. Husband would have liked drawers. The closet was compact. One side had shelves and the safe. The other side was for hanging clothes. For us it held a suit, four outfits, several golf shirts and two dresses. If I designed the closet the shelves and the hanging space would be flipped. It would prevent the feeling of tight quarters between sofa and closet.

If you enjoy the nightlife you'll love the location. Do NOT book this room if you like to retire early or enjoy the quiet sea from your balcony. Spice H20 is two decks up and More the heart of the ship at night. You'll be treated to loud thumping, shouting and unexplained rattles. The balcony is spacious. However, you will suffer from balcony envy. The adjoining stateroom has a much higher price point. This was our first Aft balcony. We loved the view, the sound from the thrusters is similar to a waterfall. It was very relaxing, but we missed any breeze. It was hot on the balcony during the day. The bathroom is spacious and smelled fresh every day.

THE FOOD.

We had the Ultimate Dining package. We enjoyed it. Some restaurants are better than others. It boiled down to personal choice. We loved Moderno. The service was excellent and the gauchos were funny. We loved hearing their stories. Food was well prepared. Don't miss the roasted pineapple. Yummy.

La Cucina was average. I was a little disappointed. Not much variety and overcooked pasta. Husband liked his lasagna. I had the chicken parm.

Le Bistro was good. Husband enjoyed his pork loin. The fish stew was pretty good but not outstanding. We loved the atmosphere. We had booked this for two nights but cancelled the second reservation.

The Garden Buffet was pretty good. The trick is to walk all the way around the room. There are different stations set-up throughout. They're are some hidden treats and plenty of seating in the back. The food was fresh. We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet.

Cagney's was a treat. The steak was very good. Husband had the strip, while I enjoyed a rib eye. We ate outside and it was very nice.

The service at all the restaurants was very good. Staff was friendly, happy and interesting.

THE WATERFRONT.

This space is a treasure. Besides the ample restaurants and bars, they have comfortable wicker sofas perfect for reading, talking or napping. Husband and I did all of the above. This was our favorite spot on the ship.

PORTS.

This was our first time to all the ports, so we took the see the Island tours. St. Marteen is a pit. Stick with the beaches. We enjoyed our tour guide Raphael. On St. Thomas we took the St. John tour! Well worth it. The island is beautiful. You couldn't go wrong with any of the beach excursions on St. John's. The last stop was Nassau. We were not impressed. There were 5 cruise ships there that day. Husband I couldn't believe with all tourist money coming in, it wasn't being invested in infrastructure or historical landmarks. My favorite part of the island the round library.

SPA.

Husband and both had massages. This was the first time we've had one on a ship. Honestly the hard sale to book another massage, buy products and invest in additional procedures re-stressed me out. Now I know to tell them before the Massage, don't try to sell me on additional services and products. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 14274

This was our first Aft balcony. The stateroom is small, but not tiny. There was plenty of storage for the two of us. Storage was shelves. Husband would have liked drawers. The closet was compact. One side had shelves and the safe. The other side was for hanging clothes. For us it held a suit, four outfits, several golf shirts and two dresses. If you enjoy the nightlife-you'll love the location. Do NOT book this room if you like to retire early or enjoy the quiet sea from your balcony. Spice H20 is two decks up and the heart of the ship at night. You'll be treated to loud thumping, shouting and unexplained rattles. The balcony is spacious. However, you will suffer from balcony envy. The adjoining stateroom has a much higher price point. This was our first Aft balcony. We loved the view, the sound from the thrusters is similar to a waterfall. It was very relaxing, but we missed any breeze. It was hot on the balcony during the day. The bathroom is spacious.