Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by LeesSummitCruiser1: Get away for dad and daughter

Vision of the Seas 0

Public Rooms Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Vision of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Get away for dad and daughter

Sail Date: August 2014

My 10 year old daughter and I sailed on the Vision of the Seas on the August 4th sailing to Rotan Honduras and Cozumel, Mexico with 2 sea days. We were in outside cabin 3608. We ate in the main dining room every night.

This was our first time on the Vision class and we found it to be a great ship. We have sailed on the Radiance and Adventure class ships in the past. The VOS did not seem that much smaller than the Radiance class. It was very easy to get around on. One nice thing was that since there were only 11 decks we used the stairs most of the time instead of the elevators. Our cabin was centrally located on the 3rd deck and on the bigger ships this would mean far away from everything. On the VOS we were close to everything. There was plenty of room in our cabin for 2; I would not want to try more than that in that small of space.

We enjoyed to 2 sea days spaced before and after the stops. One neat activity unique to VOS was on the sea day (day 5) the chef from More Izumi held a learn how to make sushi session. My daughter participated and learned to make 4 kinds of sushi that we then got to eat. There was $25 fee associated with the course but based on the Izumi menu and the fun my daughter had, we found this fee well worth it. The chef was experimenting with this course on the VOS and is hoping to roll it out beyond VOS.

As usual on pool days the pool was crowded. This is the one place we did notice VOS being a smaller ship. Even on Majesty we could usually find a corner of the pool to fit in. On the VOS the pool was packed with people. The solarium pool was empty but my daughter could not go in there so we made do with the outside pool.

The main dining room food was good. My daughter especially enjoys the duck and pasta dishes. Lobster night was one of the best I have had. Our waiter Aldrin and assistant waiter Idiris were excellent.

We booked the Jolly Roger snorkel tour in Rotan and the Tulum express tour in Cozumel through RCI. Both tours were excellent. The crew of the Jolly Roger was a lot of fun and the reef was one of the best we have been on. Tulum was amazing but very hot. Drink lots of water on before you go and during the trip if you choose this excursion. The one negative of the Tulum trip was the box lunch provided by RCI. It was a tuna pack with crackers and bottle of water. Luckily we were warned and got excellent street tacos at Tulum. If you get any tours where it says RCI is providing a box lunch, assume it won’t be much. I would rather they say lunch is on your own rather than providing an inedible box lunch.

The entertainment on the ship was excellent. My daughter is a dancer so we are always wanting to see the dancers. The comedian was very funny at both the family and adult shows. The juggler acrobat was a lot of fun. The aerial show in the centrum the last night was impressive. You need to get there a little early and I recommend watching from deck 7 or 8 to see it best.

Captain Liz and her crew were very visible throughout the ship and very approachable. I did wish that she would have a captain’s corner.

One minor complaint that I have with RCI is they have invested in engineering and design of a rolling roof over the solarium. They pay a weight penalty in fuel to have a stronger roof that can move. This is my 8th cruise on an RCI ship with this feature and I have never seen the roof on the solarium open. Why invest in the design and weight if you never use it? Less

Published 08/18/14

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Vision of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: 3608

Mayan Ruins

Tulum Express. The excursion was excellent. The tour guide was great. The ferry picked up right by the cruise ship. Everyone should make it a point to visit the Mayan runes. The box lunch provided by RCI was terrible. It was tuna and crackers with water to drink.

Snorkeling

Jolly Roger catamaran snorkel. The reef was great. The crew was a lot of fun. The food was excellent. Rum was available after the snorkel.