Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by shucks59: Mostly Good.....

Carnival Conquest 4

shucks59
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.0

Mostly Good.....

Sail Date: August 2014

We just recently returned from 7 day cruise on the Carnival Conquest. This was my fifth cruise, all with Carnival. I was traveling with my husband and my daughter (8).

We flew into FLL the night before, we didn't arrive until 2 am and then our luggage didn't make it. We got our luggage the next morning and because of the inconvenience, Delta paid for our shuttle to the port.

Once we arrived at the port of Miami, we dropped off our luggage, and stood in a huge line, we have never experienced this type of wait when embarking before. Once through (about an hour and a half) we made it onto the ship and after stopping at our room, went right up to Lido deck for lunch.

Guys Burger Bar and the Blue Iguana Cantina......were a great addition. This is our first time sailing with these options. These two options made up from that lackluster food in the other areas of the ship. Buffets were just so so. Nothing to write home about.

The food in the MDR was OK, More feel like it has been the same for several years with not much change. I felt the service was slow, our wait staff was good and I don't think this was their issue. We sat at a 3 person table (440 in Monet, Late Seating), and only once had bar service ask us if we wanted something one time. We had late seating (which we have had on every other cruise) and I would not do this again, because the service was slow, it was nearly ten each night before we were done with dinner. We did have the SeaDay Brunch and the food was really good, but again the service was slow.

I was not impressed with the buffet options and didn't feel like we had many other options. They closed early or were not open much of the time. The hours of dining were very bizarre especially on long port days.

I thought the Entertainment staff was EXCELLENT. I thought Epic Rock was AMAZING! Best show I have seen on a cruise. It was professional. Divas/Latin show were also good. Not as impressed with Brits, and honestly didn't stay for the entire show. I also thought their interaction with the guests after the shows was a nice addition, also my daughter took part in a couple of dance classes on board with the dancers, she did the hip hop dance class through camp carnival and thriller dance class. She enjoyed her interactions with them. Lots of overlap in activities, which is why in the future I would do the any time dining.

Cruise Director Mike and Assistant Cruise Director Roly were great! They were ALL over the ship and had lots of fun activities planned, I took part in 90s music trivia and morning call in show. The guest interaction on the boat was great, you can tell these guys love their job! I would definitely take another cruise with Roly as the cruise director. :)

We also attended several shows (3 Family Friendly, one adult) in the Punchliner Comedy Club. The first two comedians were great. The other two were just OK. I thought that the one adult show we attended was over the top "adult" to the point that it wasn't really funny! Cussing just cause he could.

PORTS:

Cozumel: We went to Paradise Beach, we love this facility and would go back. It's only $14 cab ride and $3 facility charge, great pool and the food is good too. It's a little more if you want to use the inflatables.

Belize: We did Carnival Excursion, Gallows Point Snorkeling. It was decent snorkeling and they had nice equipment. We then went back to the boat and got right on a tender to take us to the port. Long tender ride and some decent shopping at port, didn't make it past the first row, so really didn't see much of Belize since we went straight from the ship to the snorkeling

Roatan: This is a beautiful port, we did Maya Key resort with lunch. It was a nice facility, Not sure how the snorkeling portion was because we didn't do this add on. The lunch was just OK. Would choose a different activity if we went back. Probably the beach that is within walking distance.

Grand Cayman: We did a non-Carnival excursion - Stingray Swim and Snorkeling. They cram you in a bus to get you to the marina. The Stingray part was pretty amazing and the staff on the boat were very knowledgeable. The Snorkeling part while we saw lots of amazing fish, the snorkeling equipment was makeshift, not enough flippers, no snorkeling life jackets, only regular life jackets used as makeshift snorkeling ones, masks were ok. We got back to the port close to "last tender" time and it was a huge long line to get onto a tender. Then for some reason disembarking the tender once we reached the ship took FOREVER!!!! At least 20 minutes.

CABIN 8345

We had a king bed with one upper twin pulled down, the room was what we expected and didn't expect much more from an interior cabin, however only having one outlet is my biggest complaint and the fact that the closets have so much extra bedding, that there wasn't enough space for our clothes. Also the room was always warm, one night the air conditioning went out completely and was out for several hours before kicking back on. Also, because you are right under Lido deck, there will be lots and lots of chair moving at all time of day and night. Also the cabin steward woke us up two different mornings at 8 am vacuuming the hallway. It was near the elevator/stairwell which was convenient.

CAMP CARNIVAL:

My daughter enjoyed her time there, but I felt like the staff on this boat just didn't care. There was one gentleman especially that just didn't seem to enjoy his job at all. The Talent Show was kind of a joke, could have been more organized. It was my daughters birthday while on board and all week she was promised a birthday crown, when she went during the day, they said they were too busy and to come back that night, we weren't able to make it back before Night Owls, so we took her back then and there was no mention of the birthday crown, she was super disappointed.

DISEMBARKTATION:

This went super smoothly. We decided to self assist (first time ever) and we were able to go down when our floor was called and was off the ship and through customs within 15 minutes.

We took SAS Shuttles to the FLL airport. This was a great company and were right then when we disembarked the ship, we were at the airport by 9:30 am. Our flight wasn't until 6 p.m.

So we rented a car with EZ Car Rental ($22 total). and spent the day at the Fort Lauderdale Beach, which was a nice end to our trip.

Overall, the cruise was a good experience, there were just little things that need to be taken care of by the cruise line to make it more enjoyable for all. Less

Published 08/18/14

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: 8345

Snorkeling

We did Carnival Excursion, Gallows Point Snorkeling. It was decent snorkeling and they had nice equipment. We then went back to the boat and got right on a tender to take us to the port. Long tender ride and some decent shopping at port, didn't make it past the first row, so really didn't see much of Belize since we went straight from the ship to the snorkeling.

Read 3395 Cozumel Reviews