Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Fodorista: Past its glory

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Past its glory

Sail Date: August 2014

Although there was nothing really bad about the 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory, I left the ship disappointed.

First the good things- the ports of call were great, really enjoyed Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. I wish Carnival provided more practical and Useful info about the ports of call (a map would have been nice!) The staff was also good for the most part. The cabins were clean and comfortable.Note- bring your own toiletries!

Now the not so good things - I booked the cruise to feel pampered, to relax, enjoy a few shows and of course expecting good food. Here are some thoughts on what did not go as expected:

1) Pampered- I did not feel like I was the one that mattered. It was all about Carnival upselling anything and everything 24/7 while cutting costs any way possible. They did not even provide a second ramp so that people getting on and off the boat at Grand Turk will not have to walk over each other. One ramp was More used for both directions- in and out. It was a mess.

2) Relax- the ship was way overcrowded. There were photographers every 30 feet. I don't mind them asking me if I want a picture taken. I could smile and say No. The problem is that the hallways are not that wide and having photographers literally everywhere made the flow of people stop, wait for them to take someone's picture, then go, just to stop again 30 feet down the hall. Carnival should have set up photo areas away from the main level 5 (casino and bars). I could not go to the main dining room for dinner without stopping and bumping into people while someone else is taking their glamour shot.

3) Shows- the only decent show I heard about was the comedy, but since that was only game in town, there were long lines to get in. By the time we made it there there was standing room only available. Needless to say, I did not opt for that. Other than that, there were several karioke shows every night (i.e. passerngers doing the entertainment). There were also several music shows at the Amber Palace- Diva and Epic Rock. I made it only through the first 10-15 min of each. They were really ridiculous, bad perfomances. Very loud and no substance. The performers did the same klumsy dance moves during a Madonna song as they did during Beyonce and Lady Gaga songs. There were nice music shows on the Casino stage, but unfortunately they were during the photo shoots, and you have to literaly elbow people to get past the photo "traps".

4) Food- there were a few acceptable meals, but overall, there were more bad than good meals. The problem was the low quality of the ingredients used. I have had better meals at Chilli's. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Upper 6221

The cabin was clean and comfortable. A little dated, but still we were happy with it. We only heard the band practice at the Amber Palace one afternoon. Other than that the proximity to the Amber Theater was not an issue. On the other hand, our neighbors in 6223 were either fighting or partying. That was really annoying.

HMC is a beautiful, private, relaxing and clean island. We did not do any excursions. We simply enjoyed the beautiful beach; used the complimentary chairs. There is a mini water park for the kids; our kid really had fun going down the water slides. A nice lunch is provided by the cruiseline. Beer and drinks are available for purchase, or you can bring your own drinks. The drink prices are a little high, but considering the location...I could not complain. I was in paradise.