Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by NathanLarm: First Time Cruiser Unbiased Review

NathanLarm
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First Time Cruiser Unbiased Review

Sail Date: August 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

After a week aboard the Sunshine, I have to say I'm pretty impressed and am likewise disappointed in the exaggerated reviews on this website about how awful the ship is. Embarkation seemed pretty quick and painless although I have nothing to compare it to. Instead of reviewing the entire ship since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm only going to go over parts of it that I feel important.

Waterworks:

The waterworks was definitely a good idea in my book. They took out the aft pool and put in three waterslides and a water complex for the kids with a pretty decent drop bucket. In the reviews I heard people say that the slides were only open a few hours a day which was absolutely not true on my cruise. Indeed, when we got on the ship they were not open and when the ship was docking or leaving port they were closed as well. Other than that, they were open from morning until sunset and the line was under 10 minutes every time. Furthermore, I frequently visit New More England's largest water park, Six Flags New England's Hurricane Harbor and I can say with certainty that these waterslides compete with and even surpass the quality of a land based slide. The race ones give you some serious speed, provided that you know how to ride it. The same can be said about the yellow one. For example, my dad went down the yellow slide when a kid was stuck inside of it because he had no clue how to ride the slide and my dad was going so fast that he passed the kid along the side of the slide while the kid was in the middle of the tube. There are informational signs clearly telling you the proper way to ride down the slide and we still see ignorant people riding down incorrectly and wondering why they get stuck. It's all about friction and people still slide down and wonder why they get stuck.

Smell of the Ship:

I was on the lookout for this since there were many reviews mentioning it. I even recall one review ignorantly declaring that "The entire ship reeked of sewage." I can truthfully report that of everywhere I went on the ship the single place where I smelled sewage was the hallway between the casino and the Taste bar where you meet to sign in for Your Time Dining. The casino didn't smell of it, and neither did the taste bar, just the short hallway between them. The other places that did smell unpleasant were the passageways between the lido buffet and Guy's burger joint and the Blue Iguana Cantina (both symmetrical parts of the ship) For some reason, the drink machines and ice cream machines here just smelled awful and the air was relatively stagnant. Other than that, our stateroom actually smelled noticeably pleasant. Other than that, there are no complaints.

Food:

Most of everything was really good and Cucina del Capitano and Jiji's restaurants were both awesome. They both gave way more than enough to eat and tasted very genuine and complex. Definitely the nicest restaurants I've been to yet (I'm only 17). The Pizza was good too and the ice cream as well. I'll say it's not possible to complain about the food without sounding ungrateful because it was all more than edible.

Getting on and off the ship at ports was quick and easy enough. Some people are overdramatic and make a big deal out of little things but there's nothing to complain about here. For example, at Nassau, we were getting off the ship with our Sail and sign cards as they told us and a lady ahead of us started shouting and complaining because she "didn't know we would need our cards to get off the ship." Again, you can make a big deal out of that, or realize that you're an idiot to think the ship is just gonna know exactly who got on and off by your face.

If i had to admit any cons, I'd say that the entertainment was very lacking. Judging by some reviews on here, it seems between NCL, RCI, and CCL, CCL's entertainment is falling behind. The playlist productions are tough to sit through and Hasbro the game show was drawn out and boring but yet it was short. However, there is still plenty to do on the ship and the sports square was a lot of fun.

Overall I had a great time and anything not mentioned in this review was good or great. All the crew were smiling and pleasant and did a good job keeping things running smoothly. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 8312

Again, I have nothing to compare it to but I was in an interior cabin and arranged our beds in an L and had enough room for my brother and me comfortably. Some of the TV channels would occasionally not work, which was frustrating, but we didn't really watch much TV anyways. The room was well lit and the mirror lights and reading lights were useful. There was enough closet space and the shower was large enough. Overall very livable.