Regal Princess Cruise Review by Maple98: Loved 12 Day Grand Mediterranean Cruise

Maple98
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Regal Princess Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Loved 12 Day Grand Mediterranean Cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I will start with review of Regal, then the trip itself. This was our second cruise, last year we did Island Princess to Alaska. We have traveled to Europe, Israel and throughout the USA so we do have some experience traveling in general. I loved the idea of waking up everyday in a new port and not having the hassle of packing up and continually moving. I also am not a foody, so I don't care about eating great dinners in foreign countries. Sampling lunches was good enough for me. Keep all this in mind as you decide if this is the trip for you. Comments on Regal. We were had midship balcony on 9th floor. Yes, the balconies are very narrow compared to Alaska cruise, but we didn't care. Loved the room. Plenty of storage in desk and closet, luggage fits under bed, great hairdryer that was tethered to desk,but lighting and mirror were great. We had plenty of outlets for charging. I thought bathroom was great for ship. Well designed and huge sink that you could use to wash out clothes if More necessary. Each floor had laundry, but you really had to plan when to use them so I did a lot of handwash because it was so hot each day on our excursions.

Agreed with others about stairs and elevators. At least they added the walking track, though you had to go 7 times around to =a mile. I didn't use the gym, it looked crowded at certain times, as expected. They offered Zumba 2x most days and I loved that. Terrific teachers. I loved the adults only Tranquility pool section and would have paid for Sanctuary, but not necessary. Sanctuary reservations filled up immediately, if you are interested in booking. I loved Horizon Court. So many choices and you could walk past the bakery and all the desserts if you really wanted to not be tempted. Plenty of healthy salads and fresh fruits. We thought a big improvement over Alaska ship. Just can't figure out why they don't offer food that represents where you are traveling to like Greek food when we were in Greece. Didn't think Sabatinos was anything special. I heard others loved the Crown grill. Foodys complained about the bland food in general. I thought it was fine. We did anytime dining which was fine. By the 3rd night, there were no crowds. I heard people say this was not the ship for teenagers ( no kidding). I also thought the nightly entertainment offerings were not interesting. Except for Beatles cover band, which was fun, the comedian, or whatever he was, was bland. But, we are early risers and were there for the ports, not the ship, so entertainment was low on our list, but even I would have liked better options.

Cruise: July is VERY hot, be prepared,If you are not in good physical shape or are in any way mobility challenged, I would not recommend this trip for you. In all the ports, there are many stairs, uneven surfaces, physical challenges. I don’t know how anyone with a cane got around, let alone a walker.

I called this trip Splash & Dash. You aren't going to do in depth touring. Rome and Florence are over an hour from the port and were the most disappointing to me since I had been there before and you just can't do them in a day. We arrived in Barcelona 2 days early, loved it. We stayed extra day in Venice, which I highly recommend. Lots of complaints about disembarkation, confusing for lots of people. We just paid thru Princess to have our luggage dropped off at our hotel while we were shuttled to St. Mark's Square. I was thrilled to see our luggage by 2pm as promised, but there were complaints from other travelers about getting to airport, etc. Also, you do not need Visa for Turkey if you are an American. Lots of misinformation and several people got them, but no one ever asked for them. We did not get them. My husband and I loved this trip as we got a chance to visit so many different countries that we may never get back to again. We booked Princess excursions for each port except Mykonos and Ephesus. In Mykonos we took Princess shuttle to town and walked around. Loved it , needed more time there. Ephesus we booked private excursion for 4. Excellent since it was so hot, it was nice to not be with a big crowd. I thought all the Princess Excursions were excellent. The guides were outstanding. I didn't mind being with 40 others and met some nice people. I might consider more private tours in the future only because they are often cheaper. Less

Read more Regal Princess cruise reviews >>