Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by marnen: OK, but could have been better

marnen
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

OK, but could have been better

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I have been on 8 RCCL cruises, most recently Allure and Oasis, so this review may be a bit colored by comparing the two. This ship is SMALL by any standards and is old and in need of some serious sprucing up.

First the good points:

Embarcation wasnt as smooth as what you will find in Ft Lauderdale or Miami, but still you were onboard very quickly.

I have eaten in the Windjammer on both this ship and all the others Ive traveled on and even though the food offered on all ships is similar, this particular Windjammer always had very good food. There was never a problem finding a table to sit at and the coffee was far better that what i paid for at their coffee bar, latitudes. The deserts at windjammer were always interesting and very good.

We ate at "my time dining" at 7 pm every night. No problem there and the wait staff were wonderful and accomodating as always. I thought the food on this cruise was a bit better than other RCCL cruises Ive been on. More Just my opinion.

We were booked on line for Portofino and the night we were scheduled to go, they changed us to Chops restaurant because they failed to mention that they were having a murder mystery in that restaraunt this particular evening. At first I was a bit annoyed, but after eating in Chops, can say it was well worth it. My wife and I both enjoyed a very good dinner there. The creme brule they serve there was a little bit odd. It comes out soaked in brandy and lit on fire at your table. I thought the desert had a very raw alchohol taste to it and wasnt too crazy about that. Everything else was stellar.

The ports are all about what can be expected in the Caribbean. St Lucia and Barbados were very pretty and quite charming. St Croix felt like you were in a third world country and I couldnt get back to the ship soon enough. The shore excursions are geared towards the typical ones seen in the Caribbean. So if you havent been to this part of the world .... very fun. If you have traveled a lot down this way... not much new to do or see. The beaches are all very nice.

The Bad:

We were on the 8th floor balcony. Decent sized rooms, but the furniture is very old and getting a little long in the tooth as they say. The chairs on our balcony were rusting and when you looked down over the railing you could see many areas of the ship that were rusting. The 8th floor had a constant odor of raw sewage and even the water coming out of our sink smelled offensive. There was a blockage of several toilets on our floor about halfway thru the cruise. That was resolved but certainly the smell remained. Our airconditioner crapped out about halfway through the cruise but was promptly and efficiently repaired.

The entertainment on RCCL in general definitly needs to be updated. They trot out the same exact entertainment on every ship without caring that their Crown and Anchor members have seen these same EXACT shows that might have been popular 20-25 years ago repeated ad nauseum. Even the musical productions were rather amaturish and stale. There was very little in way of entertainment other than their very tired 50's -60's party, 70's party. Again, I cant help comparing this ship to Allure or Oasis where the entertainment was of a far higher caliber. This ship almost feels like the poor step sister in the fleet. Tired, worn, and pretty boring on board.

I would still go on RCCL but would stick to the newer and larger ships. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>