Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by elisabeus: Overall a Good Experience

Family & Children 2.3

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Overall a Good Experience

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my third cruise... second with Carnival.

Embarkation was fairly easy. Long lines but they moved quickly. A word of advice if you bring cases of water, put them on a duffle bag - they will NOT allow you to check the cases with your luggage, so we ended up lugging two cases of water through the terminal/ship. UGH they'll take them in a bag!

Our rooms were ready were ready when promised. We had adjoining rooms and were inpressed with the size. Lee, our cabin steward was awesome!

The ship was VERY clean!

My last cruise was on RCL Explorer and that was a beautiful ship. I found the splendor to be unattractive and extremely hard to navigate. By day 8 I still found myself getting lost trying to find certain places. I know I wasn't alone because on day 8 I still had other passengers asking directions. I thought the dining rooms were ok, but the décor in the hallways by the cabins and the elevators was not appealing to me in the least. More

I had four children with me, so I understand children, but I found there to be children running unsupervised and at times that became an issue for my family's enjoyment. In one situation my children 5,8&9 were playing in the splash park area, there was a group of 3-4 boys around 10-12... they were running up the slides as little ones were coming down... my 8 yr old eventually was knocked over and landed on by one of the older boys. End of fun that day!

Another incident involved same aged boys getting out of pool to lay at the base of the big waterslide so kids coming down would crash into them... wondered if some of these kids had parents

the food at the buffet was ok, but the ship was almost at capacity 3600+ with a capacity of 3700. This caused long lines, but they were manageable. I thought the staff did a great job keeping up with the crowd.

I enjoyed the freshly made sandwiches at the deli outside of the lido deck.

I thought the entertainment was good.

None of my kids liked the camp. I really don't know why, but after first day, none wanted to go back. My oldest, 16, had no interest in the teen club. Our last cruise on RCL we couldn't get my 10 yr old away from the camp so I was shocked when not one of them liked it.

My kids loved the 24 hr pizza/ice cream... I would have liked to see maybe some cookies or other baked goods available to go with a late night coffee.

I loved the outdoor movie theater. I do think they may need to try to encourage guests who are not interested in watching the movie to possibly move to other locations... on several occasions we ended up leaving the movie because other passengers were so loud sitting at the side of the main viewing area it was impossible to hear the movie. On one night a family gathered with their radio AND LARGE SPEAKERS blaring their music as the other passengers tried to hear the movie. There were THREE empty dining areas where people could have talked and enjoyed their music... VERY INCONSIDERATE!!!

we chose anytime dining this cruise, just to see how we liked it. There were no issues, but we prefer to have the same wait staff each night to make it more personal.

We enjoyed the ports but would have liked more time at each.

We enjoyed the entertainment. The family friendly shows were nice since our kids didn't want to attend camp.

Overall it was a nice trip. I have no MAJOR complaints. I tried to let the little things roll so I could enjoy my vacation.

I thought debarkation was going to be a nightmare... we were number 21 and the other members in our party were number 6. My daughter timed the process from the time they called the first group until we were outside at the curb waiting for our ride. 39 minutes... that's incredible for a ship of that size at capacity.

I am a bit put off that I've seen a lot of comments that people say 'you get what you pay for' ... I paid as much for this trip as I did for our last on RCL, so I dont feel we took the cheaper/lower class trip, but in some instances I feel like that's the feeling the ship gave off. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>