Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by artist10m: Can't Believe This Ship Received Cruise Critic's Best

artist10m
Member Since 2001

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Reflection Alaska Cruises

Can't Believe This Ship Received Cruise Critic's Best

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I was disappointed with my summer tour of Alaska on the Celebrity Reflection. When I saw that Cruise Critic selected this ship as one of the best, I felt I had to write this review.

I've sailed with Celebrity a number of times in the past and was very pleased with the experience, but the past is not the present--at least as far as the Reflection is concerned. I've always had a very positive view of what Celebrity offers, especially the food; however....

The food was OK in the cafeteria, but it was uneven in the main restaurants. It was passable, but it was not what I was looking forward to. My biggest disappointment was not so much with the taste of the food, but with the (non) service that was extant in the cafeteria area. The servers/ buss-boys, etc. seemed to avoid any contact with the customers. We often arrived with our food selection and found that many of the table were un-bussed, and when we left 25 minutes later, they were still un-bussed. On one occasion, I More forgot to draw a cup of decafe from the service area that's very near the cafeteria food stations, When I got near our table, I remembered that I needed some coffee. There was a coffee station nearby, but it was out of decafe. When I was able to get the attention of one of the few "servers," in the area and asked about getting a cup of coffee, was told to go back to the main service area and help myself! This would not have happened on Princess.

The ship short-changes the bands. Many of them played in the atrium or were squeezed into the areas that would normally be provided for the people passing by. No seats are provided in these areas.Entertainment seemed to be a second tier objective. In many areas there was no place to sit and listen. The big shows were well done, but the tunes, etc. were not focused on a post-55 crowd. AND, the sound levels were beyond loud. I'm a musician, and if I have worked for 30 years with those sound levels, I wouldn't have been able to hear the ship's horn!

In many ways, Celebrity does a fine job, but my experience on the Reflection tarnished my opinion of the line. Also note that if you are on a long cruise, there are no self service laundry facilities. The ship will, however, be please to wash your shorts for about the same price you'd pay for a new pair. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>