Disney Dream Cruise Review by Minerva Mouse: Such a dream vacation...

Minerva Mouse

Such a dream vacation...

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I am smiling as I write this review. My overall experience with my recent cruise on the Disney Dream was excellent. I was a first time cruiser so before my trip I made sure I read up on all the F&Qs, read a million reviews, and was on the Disney Cruise website at least 3 times a day. I did my homework and it paid off. It helped knowing what to expect, like the crowds on the ship, the available excursions, the shows & events, and my stateroom. Here is some details on my trip and I hope it helps you when it is your turn to sail.

I was very fortunate to cruise on the Dream with my husband's family and our son, who is 3 1/2. All together there was 23 of us, kids out numbering the adults. We took over about 6 rooms on the Disney Dream. Going through the port was fairly painless, there were three long waits, one going through one check point to view your identification, we did this right after we parked our car in the parking garage, then we waited in line again for More security to check our bags. TIP: My husband and I used a medium rolling suitcase to load a ton of bottled water, soda, and some adult beverages. We had no issues going through the check point. However, some unlucky family had packed a large soft cooler with I assuming the same items but also filled it with ice. The gentlemen was asked to empty all items from the bag, including the ice, I am sure this is what held up this line. Finally, we have made it to our final check in stop where we got our key to the world cards, that you basically use for everything on the ship (room key, payment for adult drinks, movie treats, shopping, getting off/on ship), so don't lose it! They even gave one to my 3 year old son that he needs to get off and back on the ship. I think I had to get a replacement for him 2 times so be sure to hold on to your little ones key card.

Once we got on the ship we went straight to the kids clubs to register our son, you can also do this in the port but there was a long line so we decided to wait. TIP: The clubs do not open until 12:00 the first day, we waited about 20 mins but were the first in line so it paid off. The worst part of my trip came when it was time to do the mandatory evacuation drill - this was just not as organized as it could be. My husband, son, and I made our way to our evacuation area and were almost trambled my the hundreds of people making their way over. Once in our spots my son was almost crushed by the other folks standing in line. Holding him would only last so long. The drill announcement is recorded and something happened to the recording and it had to be started....from the beginning so what should have been 20 mins turned into 40 mins...of standing, with lots of strangers in a very tight space. Once it was over there was no organization and a mass mob just started for the doors. It took about 1.5 hours to get back to our stateroom. So I would suggest you take a gingerly walk to the evacuation area when it comes time. Being the last ones there means you will be the first to go - and beat the mob!

I can go in a ton of detail on the rest of the trip but I will try to summarize. The restaurants and wait staff we had each night was excellent. The food was very good, though I had wished for more variety. We had a grown up table and a couple kids tables and the staff really helped with getting the food to the kids and keeping them entertained. Our waiter put on a couple magic shows, lots of fun. We did the early seating which I loved. We had enough time to enjoy our day, unwind in our stateroom and make it to dinner then still have enough play time in the evening to catch a show, movie, or go to the pool/aquaduck.

Nassau/Castaway Cay/At Sea: On the Nassau day we decided to get off the boat and do the Sea Tour which was this boat partially submersed in the water. It was nice and we saw a lot of fish and got a little tour on the way to the other boat but realistically I wish we just stayed on the boat. Glad we did it but wouldn't have been bummed if we didn't. Castaway Car was very nice - the water was great and there was a couple water slides to go down. I wasn't really all that impressed with the island but it was still a great day at the beach. At Sea was my favorite part. It was very relaxing, we slept in and ordered room service for breakfast. My husband and I did Palo for lunch, to celebrate my birthday. Our son loved the Oceanear's Club and we used it a lot! Then we hung out with our family and spent the night at the pools and hot tub. I even got to go on the aquaduck (finally!) TIP: Nights are the best time for the pool if you don't mind missing a show or two since most of the ship are eating (late rotation) or at the shows.

It truly was a magical vacation and I still think about what I was doing on the ship each day since. I can't wait to go on our next Disney Cruise, hopefully to the new destination in Norway. Everyone experiences things differently but from the shows and watching the (free) movie Planes to my relaxing time with my husband, it truly was a Dream! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>