Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Lauren12201995: One of my favorite cruises

Lauren12201995
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

One of my favorite cruises

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

We were on the Legend sailing July 27th, 2014. I traveled with my parents and sister who is around my age (we were the young brunette and blonde, it was probably hard to miss us, but we were just having fun). This was our sixth cruise and fourth on Carnival.

Embarkation went pretty smoothly, we got there early and did not have to wait long until they began boarding. Once you get on the atrium is pretty stunning like on most Carnival ships. Urns EVERYWHERE but you get used to it. It's fun to look up and see the floating glass staircase. We went straight to lido and there were lines everywhere. Not sure why people just stand there and stare, as if nobody is waiting behind them. I was not expecting so many lines every time we went to lido, they were on our last cruise on the Dream but that ship is twice the size of the Legend. Pizza sometimes took a while but was good. My favorite is their signature Reuben, so I stuck to that most lunches or as a midnight snack from room More service. Also enjoyed the grill by the pool with burgers and fries, as well as Chopsticks, the asian buffet. Food in the MDR was good but sometimes "too fancy" for me. I mainly stuck to a shrimp cocktail, flat iron steak, and chocolate melting cake every night. Wish I could have this meal one more time! Tried the escargots for the first time and learned they are not for me. The lobster on the first formal night was delish of course. Overall food was pretty good, like most cruise food. If you can't find something you like than you are simply too picky.

Pools were always packed on sea days with standing room only. We do like to sleep in though, so we would get up have breakfast and be out there by 11 maybe, and there would not be a seat. We usually ended up finding one on the upper deck though after searching a little. The death-drop slide near the back of the ship called "Green Thunder" was awesome but line took forever so I would recommend going on port days. The pool games were fun and always a spectacle. Mom participated in the Mixology competition but did not win. She was also chosen for the Welcome Aboard show (she was the chicken)! Sister got chosen for the Hasboro game show, and I did too but answered the question wrong so could not get on stage. Speaking of entertainment, they could have done better. As another review mentioned, the ship and a lot of it's staff (mainly entertainment) were winding down and seemed to just be getting through the end of their contracts as the ship is about to be sent to Australia. Cruise director Eli was good but he could be a little dry and even rude at times. Also, a lot of the planned events seemed to be centered around selling things. Punchliner comedy club was hilarious. They first had a family friendly show during the day, then two different early and late 18+ comedy shows. The Firebird lounge was always packed for these so if you want a seat get their early. Favorite comedian and a must see was Steve White. He was so witty and it came so naturally to him. The shows in Follies, the main lounge, were good, always enjoyed seeing one after dinner. Favorite act was the hypnotist, Magic Leo. He apparently had a show in Follies but this was not listed on the itinerary and so I was a little sad I missed him. But another night he did close-up magic in a different lounge and was amazing. Best hypnotist you will ever see with hands quicker than the eye. Funny and charismatic guy too. Cabbage Fever was a band that played in the atrium old hits and new hits too. They were fun and always had good vibes. Lead singer was great and she always smiled at us while we danced and enjoyed the music.

Getting onto the ports, we really enjoyed them. First stop was Cozumel where we had a Dolphin excursion at a place called Dolphinaris. You could interact and swim with the dolphins with all food and drink included. Felt a little like a photo op and just a way to make money at some points, but we still had fun touching and getting kisses from the dolphins! Excursion also included a chance to snorkel with sting rays in a little area they created, and also paddle boarding and kayaking. Belize was the next stop where you had to take a 20 minute tender out to the island. We mainly only got off to buy medicine for Dad (it was too expensive on the ship) but stopped and had drinks for cheap at a bar. You are kind of bombarded with people trying to get you to buy an excursion but we just ignored them. Roatan, Honduras was next and we just got off and went to the man made beach here. Crowded but nice and the water was so clear. The last stop at Grand Cayman where you had to take another (but much shorter) tender to was my favorite. It is one of the richest islands and you can tell. Our excursion to the turtle farm included a bus tour on the way. At the turtle farm you could touch, hold, and swim with sea turtles and we really had a blast. They were so cute to hold and if you scratched them under the neck they would fall asleep right in your hands!

Disembarkation was easy too. We were one of the first groups off, as we had to catch a flight to Atlanta then Richmond, and it did not take terribly long. Always the saddest part of the trip is looking back on the ship for the last time and hearing the last "ding" as they check you out of the ship. So many great memories were made for my family and I on this trip and I met some people I will never forget. Now all I have left are the picture and the memories. If I could do this cruise again I would. Sad to see it go to Australia but it will be back! Of course every cruise has its faults but it would take a pretty particular person to not enjoy a cruise in the end. If you have a chance to take this cruise then do it, I highly recommend. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Interior Riviera 1146

We usually get the balcony room but I really did not mind having an interior this time. The rates are too good for them and the layout is nice and efficient. Ample storage for everything we packed.