AmaLotus Cruise Review by daabigyin: Mekong delights

Mekong delights

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Other

This was my first cruise ever, and it was such a positive experience. Amawaterways has done a terrific job of combining different types of on shore experiences on this cruise. This was extremely important to me as I have resisted cruising up till now, not wanting to spend my entire time on a ship and needing excursions that are interesting to me.

When traveling, my wife and I like to visit historical sites, as well as absorbing the culture of the country through contact with the locals - seeing how they live and enjoying (hopefully!) the local food. This cruise did an exceptional job of that, aided by the knowledgeable guides such as Mao Ponloe in Cambodia, and Khanh in Vietnam.

Congratulations to Amawaterways. The staff onboard were very friendly and very efficient. The cruise manager did an exceptional job on this particular voyage. Che Thanh Thoai is a remarkable individual. His attention to detail is astonishing. He was EVERYWHERE we needed him to be, to the More extent that we sometimes wondered if he had several identical brothers! He is energetic and friendly, and sympathetic to passengers needs. He goes out of his way to help and please, even when passengers are clearly in the wrong (e.g. missing departure times). He is also quite talented as a musician and vocalist! The entire staff was pleasant and provided great service, but Thoai stood out.

With this experience I am now a committed cruiser, and will thoroughly endorse Amawaterways to anyone that asks.

The Amalotus is a very well designed ship with minimal engine noise and vibration in the cabins. The only downside on this particular cruise through the Mekong - very spotty internet connections. The exercise area is a bit limited, but there were never any lineups for use. The A/C was not always turned on there, so it was easy to get up a sweat! Less

Read more AmaLotus cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's AmaLotus Review >>

Cabin review: AmaLotus 105

Effective use of space. Comfortable, well sized bed (I'm 6' 3"). A/C worked well but didn't maintain a constant temperature. Spacious bathroom. Good viewing through the external windows and veranda. Nicely decorated with dark wood. Convenient wall outlets on either side of the bed.