Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by MADMANOR: Disappointment of the seas

Disappointment of the seas

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Booked a fly cruise and my companion has walking difficulties.The airport assistance was fantastic. Boarding Royal Carribbean was not easy as there was no assistance at the port. Throughout the cruise the staff were unsure of how to accomodate people with walking difficulties and often at ports , lifts were closed, at dining venues there were steps and stairs and even to be photographed with the captain at his welcome aboard evening , all guests had to negotiate the stairs up and down the main staircase in the Centrum.

The main dining room was very grand and the service was good. The food however was poor and very disappointing. Only a three course meal offered. All meals were plated with no service of additional vegetables or sides. The food was often only just warm and the signature dessert, creme brulee, the same offering every night, was more like a wet blancmange with no cracky sugar topping. The sugar was wet and had dissolved on the top and a single slice of cold More banana had sunk into the mess. I've had better in my local pub! Being adventurous , I thought I would sample chef's watermelon and raspberry soup served with a Mojito Foam. Big mistake! The 'foam' only appeared when I moved the spoon through the soup and was so off putting that I could not bring myself to eat it. Honestly I thought someone had spat in my first course.

The windjammer buffet style restaurant provides a wide selection of food , including breakfast, and we often had better quality food here. The cooked dishes such as the fish pieces were left to stand and had gone a bit dry. The main problem here was the use of only plastic plates, cups and bowls. The thick plastic does not retain any heat therefore the food gets cold quickly, and to drink a morning cup of tea from plastic picnic wear is just not up to standard.

If you are prepared to pay extra the food in the Chops Grille $30 per person per night extra then you will get the service and food quality that has been the standard of the many other cruise companies we have experienced.

The wine list on board was extensive but the prices started from $33 a bottle. This is a little more than other cruise liners and so if you enjoy 'fine dining' this may add quite a bit to the overall cost of your holiday. Also to be noted are the charges for extras such as any classes, yoga, morning stretch etc. Other enrichment activities included things like 'adult belly flop competition'. Some how I have difficulty seeing this as 'enriching' .

Another disappointment was the lack of a laundry room or any fascility for ironing. There is no trouser press in the room and the only way to have an item pressed is of course to pay! For this you must think in advance and put your ironing out 24 hours before. Less

Published 08/14/14

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review:

Member Since 2014
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?