Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by sunnyday75

Carnival Breeze
Carnival Breeze
Member Name: sunnyday75
Cruise Date: July 2014
See More About: Carnival Breeze Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

CARNIVAL BREEZE - The Hometown Buffet of Cruise lines

Warning. I have been spoiled by my other cruise experiences, so this may be biased. :)

So this was my first time going on Carnival Breeze and I don't think I can recommend it to anyone. Our Cabin Category was 8D. Our parties were on the 8th & 9th floor balcony suites. We went to La Romana, Curacao, Aruba, and Grand Turk.

This review covers 3 areas:

1. FOOD

* 24 hr. pizza - 4.5 stars (it's a thin crust pizza and you can ask them to customize your pizza when they're not busy.)

* Guy's Burger - 4.5 Stars, A great break from the Lido Deck Buffet. They have a salad bar of different types of toppings (pickles, mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, yellow peppers, bacon bits, onions, chipotle spread, mayo, etc.)

* BBQ on Deck 5 on Sea Days - 1 star. They serve the same sausage as you would get during breakfast, but just presented differently. There's NO Tri-tip or BBQ Ribs!!! C'mon! You've gotta have ribs if you're calling it Smokehouse BBQ. Only pulled pork sandwich and the Sausage, grilled veggies, coleslaw, and beans. Very limited choices and the taste was not great. I think the health inspector would have a field day with their set-up. No ice or food warmer under the food bowls. The dressings they just had on the side with no refrigeration shelf underneath while it was sitting out in the sun! This was the same situation at the Indian Buffet where they put the dressing on the side of their food location and the tray to hold their corn on the cob and other food items did not have any ice underneath it! I noticed this all 9 days!

* Lido Deck buffets - 2 stars (Hometown Buffet/Golden Coral Buffet quality) - almost the same food every single day. Definitely the same breakfast all 9 days. Desserts look beautiful, but taste is dry and tastes like frozen desserts, but dolled-up.

* The Italian restaurant will serve you for free on some Sea Days for lunch time. This was a nice restaurant and food was okay. It was a nice break from the same food offered in Lido Deck. Tip: They won't let you in until your entire party is there.

* Sapphire Restaurant: we had a really bad and rude server with attitude, so we asked to switch servers for the rest of our time there and it was all good the rest of the time.

* Dine-In Breakfast or Lunch at Blush was mediocre service. Each experience we felt like they were just not happy to be there. No smiles, just really depressing mood from all the servers. I think it's because they are just worked way too hard, but I'm just commenting on the service. Food is exactly like Lido Deck, but you avoid all the crazy lines.

2. OFFSHORE:

La Romana: Safety concern was that 300 people had already died from the mosquito bites. We still ventured off into town, but we sprayed ourselves and wore light clothing. We never do the excursions offered on the boat or the ones people try to entice you into getting when they dock. It's because we would rather save our money for other things. I.e. we're cheap! We were able to negotiate them down to $3 per person to take us right next to this expensive resort where people normally pay $40/person to use their beach. We were swimming on the same beach, same views, but FREE! There were lots of kids there who will try to sell you fruit or wash your feet for a $1. You have to be a little careful because they are known to pick pocket. They're harmless and we weren't afraid or anything. They also have a very small place to shop right there on the beach as well as food and drinks from the locals.

Grand Turk: It was beautiful and clean, but a bit too many people for my liking. You definitely need swim shoes/sandals if you plan on going out to swim. Lots of rocks. No taxi needed. Just simply walk off the boat and the beach is pretty close. Come early to claim your spot under a tree. It gets crowded since there were 2 ships docked at the same time.

Curacao: We had a large group, so we were able to negotiate a price for $1.50 per person and they took you there and took you back. Total $3 round trip to drive you to one of the most beautiful beaches. Once you get to the beach there are workers who walk around & charge you $3/person to use their beach. They also charge to use their chairs, but it was later in the day, so we weren't charged. There's a row of little shacks selling souvenirs.

ARUBA: The most beautiful of all the islands in my humble opinion. You'll also need swim shoes/sandals.

The bus that took us charged us $2.50/person one way and they also came back to pick you up. They dropped us off at this amazingly private beach and it also had umbrellas for you at no charge to use it. It wasn't completely private, but only a handful of people. We were able to swim out to the same spots as the people who paid big money to have a boat bring them to that area to snorkel. Ours only cost $2.50/person including transportation for the same snorkeling experience.

3. OVERALL EXPERIENCE: My overall experience was fantastic because it was spent with people who were great company, but the Carnival Breeze experience was a 2 out of 5 stars. Mediocre housekeeping service. Mediocre dining service in Lido and Blush.

And lastly, they NICKLE & DIME YOU for everything. On the other ships, simple hand scooped ice cream, or cappucino's and latte's came with the meal. Never have I been on a cruise or even hotels/motels where they DON'T offer you lotion, cotton swabs, or conditioner! Even MOTEL 6 gives you conditioner and lotion! Carnival Breeze staff old me I can get it at the gift shop. Don't expect much on Carnival Breeze.

It's a beautiful ship, but that's the only thing going for them. Entertainment was HORRIBLE!!!! But again, I've been spoiled by the other cruises I've been on where entertainment was almost similar to Cirque De Soleil. Carnival Breeze had long lines for EVERYTHING and it was super crowded. I felt like I was on Spring Break and that was just not the experience I was looking for. I think those who like that Spring Break experience would enjoy this cruise, but for someone who is over that scene...this just wasn't for me.

Overall, we paid $750/person (4 in a room) not including tax yet and we got $100 to spend on the boat. It was a good deal, but I would not recommend going on Carnival Breeze.

Publication Date: 08/14/14