Coral Princess Cruise Review by dane47: Princess in Alaska: Pros and Cons

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Whittier

Pros;

Great day in Glacier Bay as we enjoyed beautiful weather and got to see both Margerie and John Hopkins Glacier. Highly recommend a balcony when on an Alaskan cruise.

Coral Princess didn't seem crowded except a couple of nights when we tried to get into the dining room at 7 p.m. and had an hour wait

I think the time in ports was pretty good so made good use of time.

Embarkation went smoothly as well as getting off the ship. Overall very organized.

Cabin steward did his job well though seemed less personable

Some meals were quite good: my favorite was Chef's night.

Servers in dining room (Bordeaux) were hit and miss. Some were wonderful.

For the most part enjoyed food in the Horizon Buffet. Servers pretty prompt with serving coffee, iced tea, orange juice.

Entertainment o.k. didn't spend too much time at this.

Naturalist talks were nice though my husband didn't have positive feelings More

Ranger being on board for Glacier Bay

Exercise work out area very nice. Remember to pack ear buds so you can listen to the TV while exercising. There is a plug in spot. It took me a while to find it.

Cons

The cons are enough that my husband doesn't plan to cruise with Princess again (our third cruise with them)

Some high pressure sales techniques the first night at dinner to buy drink packages. Seemed a little misleading in how it was promoted. Since we are experienced cruisers and not big alcohol consumers we avoided alcohol package. Also can live without coke for a week so didn't go with that package.

Also high pressure in the dining room to order wine for dinner. Some of the servers seemed a big miffed if we chose not too.

Quality of the photo paper has gone down considerably. We didn't buy any photos because we were trying to find ways to save money.

Asked for robes to be in our rooms when we filled out our preferences before the cruise. Had to ask for them again.

We had trouble both with the shower and the sink in our room. The sink stopper was replaced and my husband had to make the shower work. Waited quite a while for someone to show up.

We didn't use any cruise excursions as we always find them to be expensive and we needed to keep within budget. Highly recommend renting a car in both Skagway and Juneau. I can't speak to the land package offered by Princess as we did our own land tour prior to the cruise.

The food could be somewhat hit and miss though overall I would say it was good.

Many of the servers seemed like they were just doing their jobs but not expending any extra energy. This wasn't true of all servers.

Entertainment venues were usually pretty full. I think the shows lasted about 30 minutes.

Didn't like how the cigar smoke smelled from the smoking area. It wasn't contained and could smell it when we were in the area. Less

Read more Coral Princess cruise reviews >>