MSC Divina Cruise Review by jc01: Divina, not so divine!!

jc01
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on MSC Divina Western Caribbean Cruises

Divina, not so divine!!

Sail Date: August 2014

Embarkation:

We arrived at port of Miami around 2:00 pm. It was earlier than the scheduled time set (4:00pm) by MSC. In my experience traveling on other lines, the ships are ready to take passengers earlier than the posted time. We had to wait in line approximately 3 hours to get on the ship. The long lines of infuriated people extended all the way to the luggage loading area and beyond. We later found out that earlier there was a gas leak inside the terminal and all operations had been shut down and consequently affected the embarkation process. We were very disappointed with the way MSC handled the situation. As we waited in line, not information was provided to us. People were hot, hungry and tired from long flights. At one point, passengers were siting and laying on the floors. Miami fire rescue had to be called to assist some passengers due to dehydration and diabetes. No one from the cruise line had the courtesy to inform us what was happening while we waited. More

Entertainment:

The theater was well equipped with comfortable seats. The sound and lighting was amazing as well as some of the choreography. The shows were nice but repetitive. The same singers and acrobats performed every night with different costumes depending on the theme of the show. You basically only need to watch the first night show and the rest are similar. We enjoyed the opera show though.

Food:

So far this has been the worst food we had in a ship and weI have been in over 30 cruises from different cruise lines. The breakfast buffet had the worst cold eggs in any form, i.e. scrambled, omelets, fried anyone could ever have. The lines were long every morning no matter what time you went. One food item we enjoyed was the croissants…. That’s about it…I remember some pictures of the buffets someone posted on cruise critic and I was telling myself, it could not be that bad. IT WAS REALLY BAD. Pizza was good right out of the oven, however if you get it after seating in the tray for a couple of minutes it was rubbery and tasted bad. Most of the seven days I ended up eating the pizza since it was somehow better than the buffet items; I had so much pizza that I will wait a month to eat it again. The lunch buffet started around 12 in the afternoon and they kept the same food items until 10 pm. If you had lunch in the buffet, then you had to eat the same for dinner.

We visited the main restaurant only twice since the service was terrible. The waiter never introduced himself. He never interacted with us, except when taking our order. The first night it took us approximately two and a half hours to complete our meal. From the appetizer, to the salad or soup, and the main entree we had to wait more the 35 minutes in between. By the time the main course was served I was not hungry anymore. The food was lacking flavors and the portions were really small.

Cabins:

We had a balcony cabin on the deck nine. It was well appointed with a spacious bathroom. Nothing like the one depicted in their website. It did not have a seating area, except for the two chairs on the small balcony. Beds were hard and pillows were old and bumpy. My dog has better pillows that those in our cabin!!!. We requested new pillows and we were given two extra pillows that felt worse than the one we were complaining about. At that point we decided not to ask for anything else and make the best of it, since we were on vacation.

Service:

Bar service was not great either. Bartenders were so focused in doing other things that they forgot to provide a personalized service. For instance, I had to constantly be waiving or begging for service. They do not make eye contact with their clients nor do they even try to be friendly. At the pools, I did not see bars waiters assisting with orders, either. You had to walk to the bars to place drink orders. This is not what I would like to do when I am relaxing on a lounge chair. The pool towels are old and nasty. PLEASE, replace them ASAP.

The reception desk personnel were not attentive and we felt at times they did not care either. We made the mistake of pre-booking two drink packages. Two days later they left us a note on our cabin to go to the reception desk to pay for these packages which we previously reserved. By then, we had already purchased the same drink package the first day at the restaurant. So we asked to cancel the order we placed online many months in advance.

Although they agreed to cancel it, the notes from the reception desk continued to arrive requesting us to go back to the reception desk to pick up the drink package vouchers. This lasted until the last day of the cruise. We wasted so much time going back and forth, that I even had and argument with one of the employees one time…so unlike me… a vacation is supposed to be a relaxing and pleasant experience. Not on Divina!! To my surprise on the last statement posted on the door the night before de-embarkation, We noticed the charge was not removed from our bill. On de-embarkation day, we had to wait (again) one hour in line to finally get it removed.

Room service:

Room service is not free; there is a charge of $3.50 per order. Not bad we thought! We ordered some ham and cheese sandwiches late one night and they were delivered one and a half hour later. Of course, we did not eat them since we had fallen asleep. The following night we decided to prepare our own sandwiches before the buffet closed and saved them in the small refrigerator in our cabin. It worked out better…

Galaxy Night club:

The sound system, led lighting and music selection was good. We actually enjoyed this venue. By the way, there is no age restriction. We traveled with two teenagers and they had a blast in the disco. After all, if no children were allowed in the club, it would have been empty.

I will never take a cruise with MSC and will not recommend anyone to do it either. There are much better options to cruise out of port of Miami to the Caribbean. Less

Read more MSC Divina cruise reviews >>