Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by Hockeynut1513: Don't discount the Paradise based on reviews

Hockeynut1513
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Paradise Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Don't discount the Paradise based on reviews

Sail Date: August 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

I just got back from a 5 day trip to Grand Cayman and Cozumel on the Paradise.

It is an older ship and as such, the rates are cheaper. Overall, the crew was awesome. Never had to tell a crew member my name twice and they used it every time. Are the rooms dated? Yes, but the cabin stewards did their best to keep everything clean and fresh.

Food: It was your typical cruise fare. There were several items in the dinning room that were very good and a few that were decent. Overall, it was better than my cooking and the variety is good. The buffets were decent and we tried most of the offerings.

Activities: We found plenty to do from the comedy shows to the Karaoke. All good times. I would suggest that they do more d.j. time on the Lido deck in the afternoon but it may have been enough for most. Some more crowd interaction to keep it moving would have been nice.

Port: With the Faster to the Fun option not available in Grand Cayman, the wait to disembark More was a bit chaotic and tedious but we only waited 45 min to get off the boat. The return was much smoother with no wait. Would have liked to have more time on the island but that is what makes you go back.

Cabin: M-142 was a small room but fit our needs quite well. Having the window to look out in the morning was nice and helped to ease the motion that my GF felt at times. While it was older, it still had plenty of space and storage. The hot water and shower were crazy! More pressure and volume than at home and I swear you could cook an egg in the hot water out of the tap. Our cabin stewards Francisco and Michael were incredible and always had a smile.

Disembarkation: Faster to the Fun got us off the ship in 20 min total. We waited about 10 min and then were off the ship before 9am.

Overall: I would take this cruise again without a second thought. They push the drinks, but that is part of the cruise. The boat is in need of some updates but is fully functional and you make your own vacation. Less

Read more Carnival Paradise cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Paradise Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Paradise M-142

M-142 was a small room but fit our needs quite well. Having the window to look out in the morning was nice and helped to ease the motion that my GF felt at times. While it was older, it still had plenty of space and storage. The hot water and shower were crazy! More pressure and volume than at home and I swear you could cook an egg in the hot water out of the tap. Our cabin stewards Francisco and Michael were incredible and always had a smile. My daughter used the upper bunk and it was perfect for the 13 yr old.

Cozumel was interesting. If you can get away from the pier, do so. So much more than the shops right there. We hired a taxi driver for 3 hrs to show us some of the sights and had a great time doing this. Mexican shopping is just that, Mexican shopping. Everyone wants you to look and buy, don't be afraid to bargain for your prices and remember that the shop keepers take pride in their places which is why they all want you to come see. Paradise Beach was a lot of fun and relaxing and you don't have to do the wrist bands to enjoy the beach and chairs.

Read 3105 Cozumel Reviews

Tendering in Grand Cayman was tedious as everyone was trying to get off at the same time. We chose to do an excursion through a private company rather than through Carnival. We did a Waverunner excursion to Sting Ray City. It was incredible and cheaper than through the excursion desk. We also lucked out and had a private tour with just the 3 of us and our guide. We played with the sting rays, snorkeled over the reef and were shown some fabulous fish by our guide and he then took us over to Starfish point since it was just the 3 of us. The tour was supposed to be 2.5 hrs but we ended up at about 3.25. Once back we had the use of the pool at the Holiday Inn and got our ride back to the dock.