Golden Princess Cruise Review by danni_in_pdx: Unbelievable, posh, wonderful vacation for a huge family group

danni_in_pdx
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

Unbelievable, posh, wonderful vacation for a huge family group

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I am not gonna lie, I totally didn't want to go on a cruise to Alaska. It was a gift from a family member, for everyone in the whole family. I pictured the saying "newly wed, overfed and almost dead" and being trapped on some vegas-faux-everything type boat. It was going to smell bad and be crowded and I wasn't going to have fun. (I'm neat and my husband is a lucky guy, right?) So, to say the cruise had a long way to go to win me over is an understatement.

But lo and behold, the ship was gorgeous, sparkling, and everything shone. The service was as good as I've had- anywhere, and it was constant. I guarantee you there is no where else on Earth where more people care about what it is you want, need, or might want later, than on this Princess Cruise ship. The staff was everywhere, and no where. Magically, things were just done for you. We have a violent peanut allergy person in our group and the maître d', David (from Mexico) fell all over himself to make sure that he had More special bread every night, and sought him out each night. This is for a kid, who is embarrassed about this issue, and instead of feeling bad, he felt great and he and David took a bunch of pics together on the last night in the 'fancy' dining room. I'm a huge food snob, but there was so much good food to choose from. And back to the first point, at 44, I am not starving to death, so while the food was often very good.... what I really loved, was the service. When I would order, I'd say 'this or this, you choose" and either our waiter, Chris (Phillapines) would shake his head 'no' if it wasn't the best item on the menu or if they were both excellent, he'd order both for me. I have a special needs teenager who really just likes burgers for dinner, and our head waiter would just say to him, "Good evening, Mr. Colin, would you like a hamburger tonight?" Nevermind there was no burger on the menu some nights.

The cabins we had were a balcony cabin on the 11th floor and an interior cabin across the hall. Both were spotless and smelled clean and fresh. (I am super picky about these things.) Linens were posh and snow white. This was our first cruise, so the whole 'free' room-service thing was a revelation to my three teenagers who discovered the joys of 3am croque monsieurs. That and the random poolside service of cold milk and warm cookies made it a winner for the kids. If I seem food-obsessed, it is because I spend a goodly amount of time in my 'real' life, trying to keep three kids fed with their many interests, special desires and sleeping patterns. To NOT have to give it a thought, was a vacation unto itself. We lucked out and had fabulous weather, which is not a reflection of the cruiseline, but made the trip even a little better. We took dance classes, exercised while whale-watching, swam in the aft pool watching our wake in the ocean. It was amazing. You should cruise and you should do it with Princess. Oh... Alaska was pretty nice too. : ) Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess 11534

We couldn't book a suite. We were told by our travel agent that they weren't available, but then on the ship, I saw them EVERYWHERE, but apparently they are for people who have racked up miles? I will find out bc we are going to do this again.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)

Salmon were spawning, bummed not to see bears.... glacier was pretty.

Wilderness Tour & Crab Feast

(5)

We grew up with a crabbing boat and we thought we were going whale-watching, which was ALL my fault, so it was a little bummed, but we saw bald eagles and seals and of course, dungeness crabs. The crab feast was delicous... but this was EIGHT AM. We had to have a beer and try to imagine it was dinnertime. Crab was as good as any I've had anywhere, and like I said, I grew up pulled up crabpots and eating it on the beach with a crab pot, so I've had a lot of excellent crab. They did a great job.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(3)

OH MY GOD. TOO LONG!!! I get it, it's a marvel, but do yourself a favor and take it ONE WAY, and then kayak and take a bus home. It was boring. Just being honest. This was from the point of view of a train geek. Save yourself. Was almost four hours.

Three hours is just a dumb amount of time to be in Victoria. It is such a fabulous place, it just wasn't enough time to do anything really. But I love Victoria, and the rating is only about the lack of time there.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews