Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Szpilcia: Quite disappointed

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Quite disappointed

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I personally loved the ship but there was A LOT of things that were just not organized the way it should have. Let's start off with me calling about 10 times before cruising to get a free balcony upgrade which my friends got. Every time I called, I was told that we couldn't upgrade because we had a promo which included one night in NY hotel, wine, strawberries covered in chocolate and 20 free pictures aboard and a free of charg for three restaurants that are 'specialty restaurants' I told them each time that I called that I don't really mind taking off the promo code and just upgrade to balcony, which they told me they could not do that.

We went for three of my family member birthdays which were noted when I was buying the tickets. Only to find out that it was a bit pointless to even tell them. Yes we did get a free cake but a lot of people had special things in the room for their celebration and we didn't. Not even my parents for their anniversary. When I went to guest More service to talk to them about it, they told me that the reason why we didn't receive it was because it was a seperate package. I was quite upset since I was not informed of this at all!

My mom is on a gluten free diet. If she eats something with gluten she will feel big stomach pains right away. We were assured that there is food that's gluten free. But not all restaurants were going by it I guess. I did like that when we asked about gluten free food they had a supervisor come and tell you which food is gluten free. But it turned out not everything was as said. The worst was steakhouse. That place didn't even have a supervisor come and talk to us about it and the waiter really seemed confused and didn't look like he knew what gluten free diet is, but assured us that he did know. I would strongly suggest for NCL to just have tags by each food with what it has for ex. Nuts, milk, gluten allergy. It would be much much easier for everyone. I also didn't appreciate one of the supervisors giving my mom a nasty look when she asked about gluten free cookies, they should respect everyone!

Since we had the promo with 20 pics free we took advantage of it and took a lot of pictures. But be careful!!!!!! When trying to order the photos it is an absolute mess!!!!!!!!! First when I asked the same question 3different people gave me three different answers! It really depends on who takes care of you at the register, if they will like you they will accommodate you. We had a problem with getting our pictures on the USB. One guy when I was getting my pictures told me that we cannot combine the pictures from three cabins on one USB, and yet when I came back to pick pictures for my parents cabin and my cousins cabin they combined it on one USB!! Mind you one USB costs 19.95$. This really upset me but at that point I probably spent there about 3 hours since they didn't know what they were doing. I don't understand thAt with today's technology they need to have all the pictures you want to buy printed. What a waste of paper and ink!! Make sure you look and the monitor for your pictures not only binder because a lot of pictures they don't print, and also look up pictures by events because not all they time they are in your account. On last day when I went to only pick up the USB I really thought it would be quick and easy, and yet again I was wrong I probably spent another hour with them because not all my pictures were on the USB! So I'm glad I made them check for me before I took them, and I strongly recommend everyone does it if you don't want to be even more disappointed!

Lastly be very very very careful with what they charge on your account!!! My husband and I went to buy 10 raffle tickets and 6 instant games which were $20 together. They were also selling bingo cards at the same time which were 49$. Although we did not play or buy the bingo cards we were charged for it! After going to guest service they checked the sign slips and they only had a wave line under signature on it! If my husband didn't check it we would be charged extra 49$ for nothing!! Same thing with our credit for one of our restaurant promos. Psi ve we had three specialty restaurants free we shouldn't be charged. For two of them we were credited back automatically, but for one only partial refund was given. If we didn't mention it we would be charged another 20$ for nothing!!!

I do have to say though that the zip line was very fun, make sure u payout ask them where the pics are taken there and at what times and how to take a picture when you get on the platform.

We also really liked the band that was playing by the adult pool.

The dj at the clubs wasn't nice and didn't play good music he had an attitude when we requested a song and said over microphone that he will not play requested song that he only plays what he wants

They don't check IDs pat the clubs either which makes you party with kids. Not really what I was expecting.

We loved the fireworks!! I really didn't thing they will be so beautiful!!! They really did an amazing job with that!!

We also loved the shows rock of ages and magic comedy(although it was way too short) we had to hook way in advance so make sure you do that first thing you get on the ship. We wanted to see one show but it was 40$ A person!!Wayyyy overpriced!

The food overall for us was good (besides what my mom had to go through with her diet) you could eat something at almost any time but you had the same food everywhere but the specialty restaurants which you had to pay for

The slides are also super fun!! If you can definitely try it out its worth it. For the ones that drop you use a the boogie board for your back because the slide may cut you and/or make a hole in your bathing suit. But deff. Worth with the boogie board. Make sure you don't take any jewlery not even rings when you go on it, they will make you take everything off!

Overall I don't think I will cruise Norwegian anymore. I didn't have a terrible time and a lot of the staff was really nice, but there was just too many situations where I was getting really frustrating with them. If you have kids maybe you will like it better since there is a lot to do for them :) Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>