Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by 2watchme: Extremely Disappointed

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Southern Caribbean Cruises

Extremely Disappointed

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I booked this cruise on the Carnival Breeze because I wanted to have a great family vacation. The itinerary looked great, and we were all looking forward to it. We were a group of 25 people, all with balcony cabins, and great expectations. I have cruised before on Royal Caribbean and was looking for the same type of service and accommodations. I had cruised before on Carnival a while ago, and was hoping to have the same experience. Unfortunately, I did not.

The check-in process went smoothly. Our problems began with the meals. The ship's buffet area is extremely limited. The lines are long, and the service personnel are not up to par. The buffet is messy and the staff is not cooperative. For example, the line at breakfast for an omelet takes forever. By the time, you get your order the rest of your food is cold. Also, it is very difficult to find a table to eat. If your breakfast is at the restaurant, it takes forever as well. We attempted to eat at the restaurant and were More sitting there for over an hour and a half for breakfast. Again, the staff seems very unhappy and it shows in their service. They walk around like the walking dead.

There is a pizza spot on the pool area that also takes a long time. For a ship with so many passengers it takes forever to eat. At one point I asked the man making the pizzas if he could put the mushrooms on top of the pepperoni and he told me to "stick to the menu". I was insulted. They take out one or two 4 slice pizzas at a time, and that is simply not enough for a ship that caries so many passengers.

The burgers at the burger place on the pool deck are greasier than greasy. I don't know if the burger guy knows that his name is being associated with the burger and burger bread with a ton of oil.

As far as the pools go, the pool is too small for so many guests.

On the second day of my cruise my friends and I were sitting on the front pool upper area, it was a windy day and for some reason they allowed the umbrellas to be open. All of a sudden, the umbrella at our section disloged itself from the stand and went flying down and hit a lady. The lady was thrown to the floor, almost unconscious. What struck me so terrible was not the umbrella hitting her, it was the fact that it took over 15 minutes for someone to come and help her. She was literally thrown on the floor with this huge umbrella on top of her and the crew members would just come and look, and no medic or first aid was administered. We were yelling and it took forever. I couldn't believe it! My friend was sitting next to the umbrella when it went flying and was scratched on her thigh with the tip, the answer from the medic was go to guest services and ask for Neosporin. Therefore, if injured on this ship, forget it....

As far as the cabins, the beds are hard as a rock. My room steward was great. Unfortunately, the beds and pillows were hard as rocks. Every morning I would wake up and tell my husband that I felt like I had been run over by a truck. Mind you, my cabin was a balcony cabin.

As far as the casino is concerned. Let me start by saying that the staff does not know what it is doing. Let me explain, my friend came in to sit down and play at the slots, all of a sudden a drunk man comes to her and starts yelling at her that she had taken his seat, and taken his play card which had $200. My friend told him no, sir, I don't have your card. At this point the man took her card out of the slot and crumpled it up. My friend tried to take her card away from him, pulling on his hand and yelling. Nobody came! The people around them came to her rescue and told him to stop, all of a sudden a lady looked in another machine and told him, sir is this your card? He had left his card in another machine. The point is that man could of hit her and assaulted her. The staff finally came, however, they did nothing! they did not escort him out of the casino, or even escort him to another area. They left this man there, that had verbally, and even physically assaulted my friend. They allowed him to sit two seats away from her. This is ridiculous and very dangerous.

The excursions.... We decided as a group all 25 of us to take the Saona excursion at La Romana, the excursion takes you to the island of Saona on a boat. Mind you it costs $101 per person. It was the WORST excursion I have taken in my whole entire life. Lets start by the fact that you are cramed into this little fiberglass boat, with no seat belts or cushions or handrails. As a matter of fact, on this same trip one of the people in my party was injured. On the way to the island a wave hit and knocked him to the floor. Because there was nothing to hold on to, he fell to the floor and hurt his back. So much, that we had to stop at a beach, and he had to be taken back to the ship with his family. We continued on, which honestly we would of gotten off with him. The firs stop was not bad, it was on a sandbar that was very nice. As we left there and got to he island the adventure truly began. The excursion left at 11 am. Therefore, we were told we would be able to buy food at the island. When we arrived at the island, the lady that escorted us "mammalina" took us through a beach full of bees to a stop where we were told "the food had depleted". There was nowhere to sit, and nothing to eat, except for some guy selling coconuts 2 for $5.00, and another guy selling lobsters. Oh, the bar was open with coke.

My kids were having issues with all of the bees buzzing around. My husband decided to go to the other side and see about getting some food. We were able to purchase food on the other side and also the beach area there was cleaner and not full of rocks, bees and sea weed. When we told Mamalina that we were going to move to the other side, she said that their food was bad, and people had gotten sick. We'll i asked "what do you have for us to purchase for food?" Nothing , just lobster, well I told her my husband was allergic and even if he wanted to he couldn't eat that. We came to realize that what she wanted was a cut of the amount of money we spent, and in spending it on the other side where there was a bar b q, she wouldn't get any money, which is why she wasn't promoting it. Well none the less, we ate at the other place, which was great, and even Mamalina ate tostones! However, we did not go there to eat, we went to enjoy the island, but it was so dirty, and infested by bees that we could't even do that. It was a waste of the day, and very disappointing.

Going back to my injured friend, when making the report on the cruise ship about the accident on the boat, he was asked was he wearing his seatbelt!!! My friend answered "you sell this excursion on the ship, don't you realize that you are putting your passengers in danger, you don't even know the conditions of the boat that is taking them, there are no SEATBELTS!

On another note....The club at the ship was supervised by these security guards from I don't know where. Let me explain, my friend was turning 50 on the ship and we planned a little get together for her at the club. Because we are allowed to take two bottles of champagne or wine on the ship, i took a bottle of champagne to the club to open it there as a celebration. I asked earlier in the day to make sure it was okay. The security said it was. When we came to bring the bottle, another security guard stopped us and told us we couldn't. I made him call his supervisor and ask, of course it was okay. Then we brought a cake we had purchased on the ship to decorate her cabin. The came came with the decorations, so we brought it to the club to sing happy birthday and cut the cake. The waitress gave us the spoons to eat the cake, candles to light up, and matches to light them up. Mind you, we did not bring any of these items, the waitress gave them to us.

As we were about to light up the candles, the security came running to tell us we could not light up the candles, nor could we eat the cake. Ridiculous! If these things we not allowed, why did the waitress give us the candles, spoons, and matches?? We'll we called the manager, and had this all out discussion as to why we couldn't light up the candles for a minute, when it was okay to light up cigarettes and smoke inside the club. The point is we were very upset.

As far as the food...We had my time dining. The food at the restaurant was terrible. The amount of food being thrown away is incredible. This because the food is so untasty that people order everything on the menu to try and find something that they will like.

Overall, I would not recommend this cruise to anyone. The service is terrible, the food is also not up to par. The excursions and onboard activities are also not organized.

When going to choose the Carnival Breeze, thing again it is not what it seems. I am very disappointed with Carnival and will not recommend this cruise line to anyone. It is a shame, but unfortunately, all of these decisions stem from the administrative team. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze

Good view. Unfortunately, the bed was hard and bumpy as rocks. The pillows were also terrible. Did not get a good nights sleep throughout the cruise.