Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by agcarp: Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My husband and I have taken several cruises on other cruise lines and decided to give Norwegian a try. We were underwhelmed by our experience.

To start with, our cabins that we had specifically requested next to each other ended up being 10 cabins apart (we were sailing with teens). They blamed booking through, who will also be getting a review. Our 13-17 teens had an activity scheduled for the first night, which was great. We hardly saw them after that except for planned events. However the 18-20 year olds did not have any activities planned until the next night. This is an important group too, not quite adults yet not kids. Why not have a meet and greet for them on night one also?

Also, we hated the free seating. We had a party of 12. We could never be seated at the same table unless we chose to utilize one of the pay restaurants. We never had the same waiter, and they never introduced themselves. Meals in the dining room took forever and were often missing orders More or had extras. I had heard the food surpassed Royal Carribean and Carnival. It did not. We went to one of the pay restaurants and the meal was so-so. I could have eaten at a similar restaurant at home and the food and choices would have been better for the same price. What is up with the 7 specialty pay to eat restaurants anyway. Most of the time, they were 3/4 empty. Those spaces could have been used to make the ship seem less crowded.

Curfew- the ship has a curfew of 1am for passengers under 18. However, if your teen is caught out after that time, they are simply told to go back to their cabin. This goes back to the problem of our cabin being moved. When I checked on my teens, one of them was not in the cabin after curfew. I waited and finally contacted security, who found him quickly sitting with a large group of teens. He was the only one escorted back to the cabin. All others were asked to disperse but did not. If there is a onboard curfew, it is not enforced and would have saved me sleepless nights for the rest of the cruise as I repeatedly went to check on the teens down the hall.

Pictures- The ones taken in the lobby were crammed into such a small space, we only took them one night. We utilized the portrait studio, but were not informed up front that they only sold individual pictures as a last resort and were truly looking to sell you a very expensive canvas deal. The pictures were great and we did buy a package, but I would not have done it if I had known about the deal ahead of time. I know of better deals at home.

Overall, I felt the service was sub-par, I felt crowded (esp when we went to see the adult shows in the smaller venues), I felt there were too many extra charges to make our cruise enjoyable. So, I guess it will be on to the next cruise line for us. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 9605

Our cabin was spacious. The teens was not. Instead of two sets of bunks, a trundle was pulled out at night eating up available floor space and making it difficult to get into and out of bed. This format also takes away valuable storage space for luggage which four teens have a lot of.