Grand Princess Cruise Review by DAngel799: Wonderful trip on the Grand Princess to Alaska

DAngel799
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Grand Princess Alaska Cruises

Wonderful trip on the Grand Princess to Alaska

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My husband and I were on the Grand Princess to Alaska from July 13 until July 20. We had never sailed on Princess before, & I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews. I don't know why the Grand Princess got any bad reviews. We had a great trip from start to finish.

The ship was large, & well laid out. There were a lot of activities to choose from, but we did our own thing.. We did go to a wine tasting and to a vodka tasting, too. Both were reasonably priced and fun.

The shore excursions were fun for the most part. In Ketchikan we went on the Lighthouse,Totems, and Eagle Excursion. That was just okay. We saw plenty of Eagles, but I was not really impressed with the totem poles or the lighthouse, and neither was my husband. The ship captain made it entertaining and made us laugh a lot, but without him the excursion would not have been very much fun.

Tracy Arm/Juneau was the best part of the trip. We booked the excursion where we were More picked up from the ship & taken close to Sawyer Glacier. That excursion is only available on the Internet from Princess before the trip. Do it!!! You will get great pictures, and see seals, and get really close to the glaciers. Loved that excursion. The excursion then joined up with everyone else in Juneau. I wanted to go see the whales in Juneau, but we didn't book in time through Princess. We were lucky enough to get on a private excursion, & it ended up being the most fun of all. We saw killer whales, and humpback whales bubble feeding. It was an experience I will never forget! We were tired that night, but I'm glad we did two excursions in one day. It was such a wonderful day.

The only other excursion we went on was in Victoria. It was the Butchart & Butterfly Gardens. The butterfly gardens were disappointing & not nearly as good as the one in New Orleans. Butchart Gardens was very beautiful, but the ship got in late and it was really dark when we went. That was disappointing. You need to see the gardens during the daytime. Maybe if we hadn't gone the see the butterflies we would have had longer at the gardens. Still, we always manage to have a good time. The bus driver was very entertaining, and the bus was air conditioned and comfortable.

On to the dining. We did anytime dining, which was new to us. It was great for an Alaska cruise. The food was good and the service was good. I've only had better food on Celebrity. Next to our cruise on Celebrity to the Mediterranean this was the best cruise I've been on. We could have taken Celebrity, but they don't get as close to the glacier. Overall, this was a fantastic cruise. I heard some people complaining about other people who didn't dress up on formal night, but we don't let things other people do or don't do bother us. Most people did as asked and wore nice things on dressy nights.

In summery it was an experience I'll never forget. Thank you Princess. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Caribe 701

This was a great cabin with more than enough room for the two of us. We brought 4 suitcases & still did not feel crowded. I read some other review saying the bathroom had an order. We didn't have any problem with odors or anything else. Our cabin steward was named Grace & she went out of her way to take care of us. We never heard any noise from the elevator either. The balcony was roomy with two chairs and a table. Nice.