Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by krychek67: Upgrades were good, miss the old nightclub, love the ship

Navigator of the Seas 5
krychek67
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Upgrades were good, miss the old nightclub, love the ship

Sail Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

New carpeting, technology, and venues around the ship. Definitely nicer to have flatscreens and I'm assuming the virtual balconies were a nice change for those interior staterooms that got that upgrade. The digital wayfinders definitely come in handy to figure out the name changes and how to find your way around the ship.

Having been on the Voyager last year before it got revamped, I could see how things changed and I think most of them make a lot of sense. My biggest gripe is in getting rid of the Dungeon nightclub (the Vault on Voyager). Last thing we need on a ship going out of Texas is an upscale Mexican restaurant...We get plenty of great Tex-Mex food in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. I highly doubt any difference is worth paying for. The only nightclub left is the Viking Crown and it has a very small uninteresting dance floor. Apparently, they are trying to make up for this by turning the Solarium into an outdoor nightclub one night which doesn't work at all More and to try to make it work, they close the Viking Crown down on that night. Can we say an early night to bed? A revamp of the Viking Crown is probably in order.

The ice show is very good and you definitely want to go find your tickets for that the first afternoon you are on the ship. The entertainment in the theater was average to good. The variety shows are fine, but my wife hates them, so I find myself sitting through those on my own. We did the Mystery Theater dinner and it was ok...Very cheesy, but somewhat entertaining. The food was excellent, but you *are* paying extra for it. Book that early if you want to do the Mystery Theater because there won't be any more spots left if you wait until you get on board. The 70's night was kind of weak. It's never been phenomenal or anything, but honestly, it was more fun with the Aussies.

The food in the dining room while good...is definitely being downgraded in order to encourage people to pay for their dinner again by going to the specialty restaurants. Morning room service on port days is extremely spotty and on the last day, you will be lucky if you get it before you have to vacate your cabin. If you choose to hit the Windjammer on the last morning, don't be late or you will get shut out. They have also taken to shutting the Windjammer completely down in between meals, so if you get there a little early for lunch or dinner, you will be waiting.

In Honduras, we went on the beach excursion which was nice, but if you don't order the snorkels ahead of time expect to either not be able to purchase them there or get a lot of pushback/delay before you are able to purchase them.

In Belize, we went to the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich which was great. A long bus ride that allows you to see a good chunk of Belize and a tasty chicken and spanish(like) rice meal with a drink. Climbed to the top of the pyramid and it was quite the site.

In Cozumel, we did the Salsa, Salsa and Margaritas. All of that was good and you can definitely get enough Margaritas to have a good time...And making the Salsa was interesting as well as good to eat.

The embarkation and disembarking is painful. Using the official parking is probably the best way to go and if you book it early on the official port website, you can pay $55 or $60 for 7 days instead of $70. I dropped my wife off with all of our luggage and drove the car to the parking just to wait for all the people who were hauling their luggage on the buses from the parking area. I guess that's what I will do next time too since my Wife got forced into the area to get signed in and boarding and I had to finagle my way into where she was after I finally got back to the terminal. In general, a lot of disorganization. Getting off the boat was worse...We ended up being in the last group and we got to stand in line forever behind every other group that had already been in line and delayed because of the disorganization. They really need to consider revamping that whole process or build a new facility somewhere else to clean up that process. I know it can be done because in Sydney, getting on and off of Voyager was light years better than in Galveston.

The crew and cabins are very good. Really didn't have any problems with anyone or anything in the cabins. They forgot to separate our beds again, but that was easily corrected.

All in all, the headaches are short-lived and it was a fun time in between, so we are going again in September on the other itinerary going out of Galveston, so I will see if they have fixed anything in the intervening 5 months and have an additional review of Grand Cayman. Less

Published 08/10/14

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review:

Room was fine...Nothing great or bad about it.

Xunantunich

Was great. A long bus ride that allows you to see a good chunk of Belize and a tasty chicken and spanish(like) rice meal with a drink. Climbed to the top of the pyramid and it was quite the site.

Salsa & Salsa

All of it was good and you can definitely get enough Margaritas to have a good time...And making the Salsa was interesting as well as good to eat.

Beach Day

Was nice, but if you don't order the snorkels ahead of time expect to either not be able to purchase them there or get a lot of pushback/delay before you are able to purchase them.

Skip X