Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by brianbp: Dissappointing experience on Regent Seven Seas Mariner

brianbp
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Seven Seas Mariner Mediterranean Cruises

Dissappointing experience on Regent Seven Seas Mariner

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Istanbul

Together with my wife, I purchased an upmarket Seven Seas Aft Suite on Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

In summary:

1. With one exception, the crew were wonderful.

2. Compared to our experience on Princess and Viking vessels, the food was average and in particular, the salads were poor.

3. Unlike Sun Princess where we cruised for six weeks in the Master Suite at about the same cost as our ten day cruise on Mariner, we also had to pay exorbitant rates for washing and the internet. On Sun Princess and Viking, the internet was free as was the laundry on Princess. For the first day and a half of the cruise, Regent charged me $160 for two hundred minutes but, given the slow speed of their satellite link, the minutes were gone very quickly.

4. Returning from one excursion, a number of passengers including me assisted a very handicapped woman to walk of about two hundred meters from the bus drop off point to the ship on a very hot day, A mariner officer More was watching us from the gangway, but made no effort to assist in any way. When we finally arrived at the gangway, I asked the officer why Regent didn't provide wheel chairs to handicapped passengers, particularly in situations like this. He replied saying, "the ships wheel chairs remain on the ship and are not for use outside the ship". He then walked the handicapped woman to the top of the gangway and simply left her there. He did not ask any crew to help her or to retrieve a wheelchair.

5. I approached the information office of the ship and asked a woman, who said she is an assistant purser, to request a meeting for me with the Chief Purser. The woman immediately started questioning my wife and I and said if I needed to see someone, I should turn up after 0800 in the morning to meet a customer relations person.

6. My wife and I enjoy cruising, but never with Regent again. Whoever owns the Regent business must have adopted a policy to reduce costs and increase cash flow. We are advising our friends to avoid cruising with Regent at any cost. Less

Read more Seven Seas Mariner cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seven Seas Mariner Review >>

Cabin review: Seven Seas Mariner 989

The cabin was very spacious and comfortable.