Carnival Dream Cruise Review by topaz123: NICE TIME ON THE DREAM.....BUT

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

NICE TIME ON THE DREAM.....BUT

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

Getting on the ship was easy...not a whole lot of waiting time. We took a cab from hotel to port, and the traffic was awful..I think we spent more time in the taxi line than in the board the ship line.

THE SHIP: Nice, big and lots of things to do. We had an inside cabin and it was surprisingly quiet. We have had other inside cabins that were really noisy, but I don't know if it was the size of the ship, or the newer ship..but it seemed quiet. We did have the thing with the "slamming doors". We have been on a lot of CARNIVAL cruises, and we get these people who must have a baby gorilla in the room...they insist on SLAMMING THE CABIN DOOR with FULL FORCE...all hours of the day and night. My aftershave almost bounced off the sink from the explosion of these door slammers. One more thing...Please do not yell the entire length of the hallway at all hours of the day and night...( Example: JIM..WE HAVE TO GET UP TO THE LIDO DECK..COME ON !!!). Very rude!!!

THE FOOD: Good More food, not downtown Manhattan up scale but generally good. You can read review after review of food, and it is so selective , it's hard to get a grip. I thought the selections were small on the LIDO buffet....I can recall over the years, it keeps getting smaller and smaller selections. Not a lot of variety offerings. Tandoori grill was fantastic, check out the Tandori chicken and hummus. Good burgers, dogs, fries too. You might want to go to the Pasta Station too...just fill out the card on pasta, sauce, etc. and they bring it freshly prepared...... MONGOLIAN WOK: Another great stop..but wow...that line is way too long...expect to wait 20 minutes on a good day. There is a barbeque station that operated on sea days....good assorted barbeque. Make stop at the Taste Bar...tiny tapas type plates each evening. ..with something new every time you stop by. They do not have a FISH n CHIPS or SUSHI station...we were disappointed in that.....Good pizza but a long wait at times. Here's a "whoops story": In line with nice slacks and silk shirt on., wanted a slice late...so headed to the pizza station...some kid in front of me grabbed his pepperoni pizza so fast it slid off the plate onto my shirt, no sorry no nothing...just took off running. One last point on dining....Way do some cruisers insist on going through the buffet line eating at the same time? Could you possibly wait, 4 minutes till you set down. Also...I had a "lady?" go through the entire buffet, butting in between those that had waited in line and filled here plate all the way down the buffet line in this manner. Excuse me...( reaches in), excuse me ( reaches over my shoulder), excuse me ( reaches between the next people).....whew.

SPA: Don't pay the big spa fees...there is a free steam room on the right when you first walk in the spa. It's small but Free.

DINING ROOM: Very good, had the best hostess hands down. Always friendly! Lobster, prime rib , vegan selections....again, a slight back off from early Carnival offerings, they have trimmed down a bit. But we thought all the meals were well prepared and good. I don't like paying $22 for a bottle of $5.00 red wine though.

MEDICAL: I needed a bandaid for a sore finger. They got me for $3.00 for a Band-Aid in medical. Ouch!

PORTS: Cozumel: nice, warm, usual street people..lots of tequila and cheap beers

Cayman: Best stop of all...lots of bargains....JAMESON one liter just $15. Pretty stop here.

Montego Bay: If you don't book an excursion, then you are stuck at the terminal or take an expensive cab ride. Carnival has a deal on a bus for $20, no cash accepted sign n sail card only. This port stop is not our favorite....the street hustlers are over the top aggressive...way over the top. Looks real seedy and Unsafe..I sure wouldn't wonder around here. Of course if you go to one of these day beaches, they soak ya bad with fees to get in, and watery umbrella drinks and then badger you to death for tips.

Good time though...I'll probably think of something I should have put in here...but we did have a great time and will cruise carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>