Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Naomi's

Member Name: Naomi's
Cruise Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

It's all about marketing

This was our first cruise. We enjoyed being on the ship, having everything there but we appalled by the non-stop sales and marketing. Everything had an agenda which was constantly in your face. Had an excellent massage, and at the end the therapist tried to sell me all the products that she used, when everyone went on deck to see the Hubbard glacier! they were SELLING hot chocolate. We made dinner reservations in the dining room and they tried to convince us that we had really made a reservation at one of their restaurants that had an extra fee.

Once we ignored all the marketing then we were able to enjoy what the cruise had to offer. The range of locations to sit, were marvelous. The rooms were nice with excellent service. (Had a rather negative interaction with the housekeeping staff who told us that we were using too much toilet paper and were blocking the toilet!) The staff was helpful, even if they were trying to sell you something. The ship is excellently maintained. The staff is efficient. They get you on and off with minimal delay. The daily newsletter with all the activities is helpful. The LCD screens in multiple locations with locations, activities and other information is excellent.

We did not take the excursions. They were overpriced. We booked our own trips once we got off board, or went on our own. The four stops were excellent choices. Each one was different from the other and all interesting. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate, as we had 4 days of rain and 3 of sun.

The food was sub par. It was abundant but not fresh. Was very disappointed that there was not fresh Alaska fish each day. It was clear that they loaded up on food at the beginning of the trip and then never replenished with fresh food. The cooked vegetables were frozen. There were no fresh summer fruits. There was not one thing that I ate the entire week that I could call excellent. I never left a meal saying that I had a good meal. The staff in all the dining areas were extremely helpful.

The gym was outstanding, with the treadmills overlooking the sea. However I was mislead regarding a bad yoga class that I thought was free. They were charging extra for that as week. The pools were disappointing. No place for swilling laps, basically for wading and great for kids to play in. The hot tubs were terrific.

The entertainment was not what I had expected. Was not particularly good, so we didn't go to it. Didn't feel as if I was missing anything.

Would have liked to have a naturalist on board explaining more about Alaska. The information lectures were sales pitches for an authors' book.

Overall, this was an excellent way to see the inner passages in Alaska and to experience the natural beauties of the area. The ship was comfortable and easy to navigate. I don't think I'll take another Royal Caribbean cruise, but would take a different more focused cruise somewhere else.

Publication Date: 08/09/14