Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Sbailey: Thomson Dream, More Like Thomson Nightmare

Sbailey
Member Since 2014

Embarkation Not Rated

Thomson Dream, More Like Thomson Nightmare

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Palma de Mallorca

Ok where to start.....firstly let me start by saying that had I not been travelling with another couple I would have got off the ship at the first stop and not got back on, I will try to be as objective and honest as I can, just because I detested every single second I know there were people on the ship who loved it, I suppose it boils down to what you want out of a holiday.

1, boarding and checking in, after sitting on our coach for half hour because the queues were so big inside the terminal, we proceeded inside the terminal and started queuing for over an hour, in boiling heat.

2, first impressions, walking onto the ship I found it very dated, almost 70's/80's in decor the carpets were stained like they were damp or something. The walls looks tatty and dirty, crew members were standing everywhere dishing out squirts of hand gel, at every restaurant door there is hand gel, I understand the reason behind it (noroviras) but don't like to be reminded every 5 mins that More I might get sick of course I would rather put gel on than get sick but Found it awful.

3, cabin, .........awful tin box..... Small plastic, cheap, stained, tatty, rusty ceiling, no shower gel in the container, not really a bother as I had bought my own but if it is there fill it up, she shower was so tiny that when you do try to wash your hair you just bash your arm on the empty shower gel holder I still have à lovely bruise on my arm. My sink leaked my toilet get blocked, although this did get sorted straight away. But he most discussing thing which still makes me sick to my stomach is after the first night I woke up and looked at my pillows which by the way were paper thin and hard, and discovered to my horror that they did not have any pillow cases on and were stained yellow, and had blood on them, I told the guy who cleans your room if he could change the pillows and he just put pillow cases on them so I wrapped them in my own towel.

4, food, it was ok, the buffet (canteen) was like school dinners, a little salad bar some cheeses, hard bread, some cold meats, lots of stews and pasta bakes, just whàt you need in 90 degree heat, only drinks you can get yourself is water tea and coffee, no juice, or other soft drinks. Food got served to you for the first 3 days again to stop any sickness. Plastic glasses, the deserts were some kind of sponge and custard again what you need in that heat. Other deserts were bland and tasted of nothing. The serviced restaurant was better, friendly staff but very busy we ate here 4 times, 3 dinners one breakfast it took forever to get served, was only offered one drink on all occasions, dinner was ok but I cook better at home it was over salty butter food was more edible than the canteen.

5, drinks, we had an all inclusive package, we had to queue (more queuing) to get drinks sometimes waiting over half an hour, one drink for one card the soft drinks were put in tiny glasses filled with ice so you got 2 mouthfuls and then you queue again, I asked for the rest of the can of coke and was told I would be charged for it, it had to be out in a plastic cup, could I please have 2 then "no, one per card".

5, the noise, every where you turned there was noise, quizzes, music blaring out, karaoke, the bing bong of the tannoy, even in the cabin, I felt I didn't get any peace.

6, ports of call, be prepared to pay a lot for thompsons excursions, you can travel on your own but it takes hours and you get a snap shot of the places you visit and don't really get a chance to take much in but it's better than staying on the boat. Or of course when you get to a destination, st Raphael, and was told it would take too long to get to st topaz on your own and there is not enough time to get back and all excursions were full.

7, the spa, had a lovely massage was very nice, woo hoo.

8, sun beds, well if you can find one, people I'm sure get up at sunrise to reserve them then get off the boat all day, they are so crammed together almost touching, the pool looked dirty and is tiny. Jacuzzi closed for the first 3 days again to stop the spread of sickness. Public toilets over flowed all over the floor on one day in the pool area.

8, the casino was good fun the croupiers were fun and friendly and there was a good atmosphere, most staff overall were friendly and helpful, I feel they are being let down by the company, they work very hard.

Overall I think regarding the food situation it is quantity over quality,this is by no means a luxury ship, there is no quality anywhere, I know everything is subjective and down to personal taste but I found this holiday to be a complete wate of money and time, I tral a lot and have been all over the world I will never step foot on a cruise (it's not for me) again, you would think that with all the hand hell I used I would come home fighting fit, but 2 days enforce I came home I got sore throat tempreture, cough and cold, and have been in bed with fever for the last 3 days. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>