Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by lawoffjd: Great Time on the Getaway

Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Time on the Getaway

Sail Date: July 2014

We had a 7 night cruise on the Getaway out of Miami that was a great experience. Embarkation was quick and easy. Our cabin was ready when we boarded the ship. We had an oceanview cabin. This was a first as in the past we have always had a balcony cabin. Room 11104 is in the very front of the ship, with a large window looking forward. It was actually a very nice room. Storage was a bit more limited than I've had on previous ships, however, the room itself was great. There wasn't a lot of motion, and the view was great. You do have to have a card inserted in the space by the door to activate the lights. You can basically insert any type of plastic card. The air seemed to work regardless if the card was in or out. I think the primary use of the card is for the steward as when it is inserted all the way it shows that someone is in the room. Anyway, we just left a plastic card inserted when we came and went, though we would sometimes pull it upwards to let the steward know we were not in More the room.

The Getaway is a beautiful ship and it is very large. It is laid out well, and it's easy to find your way around. There is plenty to do on board, so it's hard to get bored. The service was excellent. Everyone was really pleasant and did a great job. When checking in at the Miami port, I had checked a 12 pack of Diet Coke. This never made it to the room. It wasn't that big a deal, but I did go to Guest Services and mention it, and they took a report. Within an hour or so, they had called to apologize that they could not find the 12 pack, but did replace it with a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi, which was fine. I thought that was great service and appreciated their efforts. Jeffrey, our cabin steward was excellent. Really nice and always had the room clean. He also left some great towel animals.

We did go see Legally Blonde, which we enjoyed. The stage, lighting and sound are pretty impressive, as were the performers in the show. We also went to the casino, which was lots of fun. We both actually won a bit of money. There were some people winning lots of money! The casino staff were great and it was a fun way to spend some time. I have seen lots of complaints about the smoke, but I did not notice it outside the immediate area if you were sitting by someone smoking. I did not smell the smoke outside the casino area as others have reported, but I may not be as sensitive to it as others.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants. I really like the outside area running along the side of the restaurants....the "Ocean Front". Hard to believe this is a new concept, i.e. eating outside on a cruise ship (other than by the pool)! It is a great way to dine and/or enjoy a drink. Ate on the outdoor patio at La Cucina, which was great. We also enjoyed Cagneys (great food) and Le Bistro. The Tropicana Room was beautiful and the food was very good. Taste and Savor were both mirrors of the other, and both very good. I really enjoyed them at lunch. The staff at all of the restaurants were excellent. We also thought the food was excellent in the included restaurants as well as the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed Carlos' Bakery for a snack. O'Sheehans was really good for lunch or late night.

We enjoyed all of the ports. The snorkeling on St. Thomas through the Castaway Girl catamaran tour was excellent. Also enjoyed the snorkeling tour on the Bahamas. Both these excursions were through NCL and were surprisingly well priced. I've seen negative comments re: Nassau, but I thought it was a pretty city, and the water for snorkeling is amazing.

When it came to disembark, we just waited and carried our bags ourselves towards the end of the process. There were a lot of people disembarking, so there was a bit of a line, but it actually moved pretty quickly. Once inside, customs was a breeze.

The Getaway is a large and very pretty ship. I thought everything went very smoothly throughout the cruise. We never had problems with waiting, etc. The elevators actually worked well, and I liked how they were laid out within the ship. I would highly recommend this cruise agenda and would highly recommend NCL and the Getaway. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 11104

Cabin is in the very front of the ship. Large picture window at a slant, with a window seat in front of it. Great view out the front. The storage seemed a bit limited. However, they did have plenty of storage for 2 people. Actually, under the window seat is all storage, but the steward was using much of it for storing linens, but he said he could take them out if we needed the space, which we did not. The room was very quiet, and there was not any excess rocking or movement. Enjoyed the cabin and the view out the window.