Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by 665598: Not a luxury vacation!

665598
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Not a luxury vacation!

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

If you are looking for a luxury vacation, this isn't for you. We generally sail on Celebrity, although we have have used RCI before. We are well travelled, and really not fussy; infact, very easy going.

The ship is generally tired looking, staterooms especially. The top duvet cover in our room had a one inch tear on the top, right in the centre. The sheer curtains had rips and tears in them. Towels are thin, and on many occasions threading. This particularly bothered me as the cruise director kept joking : "do not take our towels!!". I know he is joking, but what makes you think I want your old, thin, threading towels?

The food quality is poor, poor, poor. The toast in the morning is so hard, you can literally break your tooth with it. At first I couldn't figure out how the toast can get this hard, then I realized the bread is stale, and they recycle from the day before. On many occasions, food was recycled from the night before. Trust me, my husand and I are both More really easy going, and eat hospital food all the time. This was on par or worse than hospital food. Most of the choices in Windjamer were heavily fried, or stews with thick heavy sauce. The steak cut is absolutely the worse I have ever seen with large chunks of fat. On one occasion, my daughter ordered a steak in main dining room for $19, and ofcourse, that came out great. So, they do know how to make it good, they just choose not to. I guess the $14K we gave them wasn't enough to feed us decent quality food...they need extra $19! Everytime they change a tray in Windjammer, they put back the same old serving spoon with lots of old gooey food stuck to it. This practice is not only un-sanitary, it is really unappetizing and puts you off from touching the spoon, yet alone eating the food. Would it really cost too much money to wash extra 20-30 serving spoons/ day? Almost all desserts are made with some kind of gelatin/ gelo like ingredient (from the chocolate mouse to lemon tart, to strawberry)....at the ice cream shop ($3-4/ small ice cream), the guy wiped his apron with a napkin first and put the same napkin around my son's cone.....Can go on and on about poor quality of food...

Minor issue: Windjammer closes at 9:30 (or 10- before the show in the Alehambra theatre ends), so if you want water for your medicine at night, you need to call room service and wait! Or better yet, go all the way down to the promanade and wait in a long line up (for beer/ soft drinks) to get a cup of water. Seriously?

Pros: The staff are fairly attentive and nice. The ports were all very good, although we could have used more time in some (e.g. Vigo). The parties were awesome, lots of energy. The port lecturer was great and sold lots of excursions. The kids club was excellent. The dinig room attendents were great. Flo-rider/ rock climbing wall were both really fun.

Overall, we had a great vacation, but unlikely to choose RCI in the future mainly because of the food issue. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>