Carnival Glory Cruise Review by scrapbookstacey: A few warnings...

scrapbookstacey
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A few warnings...

Sail Date: June 2014

This was my seventh cruise and the first time on Carnival. My husband and I are in our 50's, very active but I've always steered away from Carnival due to it's "party" reputation. We enjoy cruising for the relaxation, adventure and rest. With that said, Carnival lived up to it's reputation. We chose this trip due to needing certain days over the July 4th holiday and hoped for the best as we've never had any major complaints on any cruise we've been on. First problem was our room. It was an oceanview but the window was SO dirty. Even the rubber gasket around the window was falling off and wouldn't fit back in place. The bed felt like I was sleeping on the floor so the next day they added a pad to it which helped some. I could accept that the ship is older and well worn so some of it was to be expected. The worst problem was the noise at night. Our stateroom was #2393 on Deck 2 with the Golden Restaurant above us. The first night about 9:30 I thought there was a storm with hail hitting More the windows. It literally sounded like there were pipes running down our walls and rocks were being flushed into them for hours every night. We complained by the 3rd night and they told us to call someone when we heard it and they'd send someone up. Seriously? They aren't going to change the pattern of whatever is happening in the kitchen above us! I started taking ambien to sleep through it.

Our room attendant was great, waiters in dining room were great and staff were all friendly. There just aren't very many of them compared to previous cruises I've been on. I'm not a real picky eater and love a nice time to dine with my husband but although food was good, it wasn't great. Only did the buffet a couple times and the choices there are slim and even the fruit was lacking and seldom had strawberries or watermelon. The taco/burrito bar by the pool was the best. Guys Hamburgers were just hamburgers. The little deli window was also pretty good. Biggest complaint was the lack of hand sanitizer. There were so many times that we went to the main dining room and the sanitizer outside was empty. Most ships even have additional personnel standing around the buffets and dining rooms with Purell to encourage you to use it. You don't even see the stands or bottles outside the buffets or places where you get food by the pool. I don't carry this product personally but in public areas like a ship it's necessary!

The pools are all in once place and for us, to be avoided. They were small and packed with people. I know all the games, loud music and crowds appeal to many but we just wanted a quieter place and it only existed in the adult Serenity area above this. My biggest complaint here was the lack of shade. You could only find it if you sat on the couches or chairs by the bar. On sea days we spent our whole day here and really enjoyed it. All day long people would walk by wanting a place in there away from the sun but it was always full after about 11 am.

The entertainment on previous ships have always been excellent. This was the worst. We saw the Hasbro show and Epic Rock which were both lame. The Punchliner Comedy shows were better until we saw Claude Stuart. Maybe he can't do a good family friendly show but it was so bad we were just feeling sorry for him. People weren't laughing much and he was actually getting mad about it. Even pulled his notes out of his pocket at one point. There were shows I would have enjoyed seeing but since most were at 10:30 and later.

Half Moon Cay was gorgeous and probably the most beautiful beach/ocean I've ever seen. We knew we wanted a clam shell on the beach so we got on the first tender after hearing they could be oversold. TIP - if you want away from the major crowds, walk out to the water and head down the beach at the waterline. Much easier to walk there than through the sand! We stopped before the pirate ship under some trees though if I went back, I'd have continued on as there were more clam shells and less people further down. We also took some inflatable floating hammocks with us and just loved floating in the water. As for snorkeling, unless you were near the rocks at the beginning or the end of the beach I don't think you'd see much in the water. As the day wore on, our little area became really crowded with people dragging their chairs back near the treeline. Leaving Half Moon Cay was bad. We left about an hour 1/2 before needing to be on the ship and there was a very long line snaking around the shops in full sun. We stood out there for about 30 minutes waiting to get on a tender. Then when the tender got to the boat it was almost 20 minutes of standing in the sun waiting to get off. Be prepared!

In St. Thomas we did the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway. Highly recommend though if I did it again I would bring my own snorkel and mask. Whether it was worn out or just cheap, I couldn't keep the water out of my mouth. The staff on the boat was excellent.

In San Juan we walked to the forts and around the town. Had an enjoyable time and there were many opportunities for photos if you enjoy that. It's a very colorful town and I had fun just photographing all the different colored doors! Great pictures of the coastline from the forts as well.

In Grand Turk we did the Catamaran Sailaway, Beach and Snorkel. This is a much larger boat than the one in St. Thomas and once we got past all the rules and stopped to snorkel, the crew was a lot of fun. The reef they take you to was beautiful though crowded since most of the people stay near the boat. We've snorkeled in many places and this water had some of the best visability ever. Loved that some of the crew got in the water and started chumming the fish so they were everywhere! Had no problems with my snorkel gear here. Highly recommend an underwater camera too. I got the Fuji Finepix XP70 at Costco for $120 and it's pictures were better than other underwater cameras I've used in the past. Afterwards they take you to a beach near where the ships are docked and you can jump in and swim or walk on the beach. It was very pretty here too. Their rum drinks were good and they even come out in the water to replenish you while here!

I know many will go on a Carnival cruise and love it but as I originally figured, a party type boat just isn't our cup of tea. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Oceanview Main 2393

First problem was our room. It was an oceanview but the window was SO dirty. Even the rubber gasket around the window was falling off and wouldn't fit back in place. The bed felt like I was sleeping on the floor so the next day they added a pad to it which helped some. I could accept that the ship is older and well worn so some of it was to be expected. The worst problem was the noise at night. Our stateroom was #2393 on Deck 2 with the Golden Restaurant above us. The first night about 9:30 I thought there was a storm with hail hitting the windows. It literally sounded like there were pipes running down our walls and rocks were being flushed into them for hours every night. We complained by the 3rd night and they told us to call someone when we heard it and they'd send someone up. Seriously? They aren't going to change the pattern of whatever is happening in the kitchen above us! I started taking ambien to sleep through it.