Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by ChuckyWucky: Not the best; must read

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Not the best; must read

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bahamas

We always do Royal Carribean but based on time constraints we really only had the Norwegian Cruise Line option to the Bahamas. We've done Royal to Carribean but It was our first with Norwegian. To be fair, it is their oldest ship and perhaps it had a lot to do with it. First of all, the staff was great. Very friendly and helpful. Not much different than the other cruise companies I've been on. Our only negative encounter was the hostess when we were embarking. We were there early and she barked at us that we need lean up against the wall because a rush of people will come in. There was only four of us in the entire lobby lol. We thought perhaps we were being too sensitive since we just got off a 4.5 hour flight from Los Angeles but then another cruiser asked her if she had to fill out out the pre-screening health form and she snarkly replied "only if you want to get on the ship". We found that very rude. A simple "yes, it's required for all guests" would have been fine. I wish I would More have got her name. On to the food....

The food was sub par. Not much variety at the buffet. I do not want to bash the food but in all honesty it wasn't much different than what we like to call "hospital food". Once in a while they had a good dish in there, but if you have been on Carnival or Royal, you will be very disappointed. The bagels are hidden behind the chef. You need to ask for one. Very strange. Even the sit down dinners were not great. The steak I ordered was bland and rubbery. If you miss dinner, too bad. The 24 hr pizza you can normally get on other cruises for free, is only available as room service at a charge of $5.

Trust me the food is terrible. Don't go with them if you think you will be loving the food. I guess you can always pay for a dinner in one of their specialty restaurants. I worked out and trimmed up for months for the buffet, at least I'm still in shape. The ship itself..

Very old. The lamp shades in our stateroom were smashed and crumbling. The walls were beat up and corners and edges looked worn and tired. The bathroom looked like a patchwork of caulk and sealants. The hallway carpets smelled and looked dated. It reminded me of those old Las Vegas casinos that try to renovate but the old is still there. Smell and all. That's the Norwegian Sky. Maybe it's time to retire the old horse.

Entertainment...

It was good. Not better or worse than any other I have experienced. Their private Island Stirrup Cay was fabulous. I enjoyed that very much. Rentals are pretty reasonably priced. Snorkeling gear was $30 for the entire day. Clam shells to cover you from sun was also $30 for the day. The lunch buffet was the same as on the ship except they had ribs on the island which were delicious.

Alcoholic drinks were priced between 8-12 dollars. Not too bad.

Would I cruise with them again? Absolutely not.. Although they have newer and nicer ships, I'm pretty sure the food is the same on all of them. That is the deal breaker for me.

If you are a local, let's say from Miami, it might be worth the price for a quick getaway. But if you are flying in and probably paid more for the flight than the cruise, I don't recommend them.

Definitely look at the other cruise options. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>