Prinsendam Cruise Review by tommcs: 14 day Celtic Cruise

14 day Celtic Cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Amsterdam

This was our first cruise and probably our last on the Prinsendam. We have been on 3 other Holland America ships and really enjoyed the ship and the customer service, but sadly not this time.

For being Holland America's Flagship, it is a "tired" ship. The whirlpools' finish has eroded, there is more rust showing than their other ships, the carpet in our "Superior Suite" had a run in it and when the touched up the wall with paint, it didn't match, the metallic finish on the door handles in the Spa had mostly fallen off. The crew was constantly working on the ship and painting, but it really requires a more major overhaul.

As for service in the dinning room this was the most disappointing. We had to ask for refills on water, we waited a couple times for over a half an hour for the next course in the meal. One of the folks at our table was brought a plate full of just noodles when the menu called for the item to have a cream sauce with chicken (I believe was the meat) More and the waiter never even apologized when he said, take this back please. One meal I ordered a baked potato and the vegetables for my entree. When the main course finally came after 25 minutes of waiting, all I received was a plate of steamed vegetables. By the time I was brought the potato, my wife had nearly finished and my vegetables were cold and again no apology.

We purchased a bottle of wine for dinner one night, and after the first pouring the waiter took the bottle and we never were asked if we wanted a refill.

Normally they have an IT person and 2 librarians to help passengers. On our voyage there was only 1 librarian who had to do all 3 jobs. She was wonderful, but completely overwhelmed by the constant demand for IT assistance from the passengers who were a bit technically challenged to begin with.

On previous HAL ships we were always provided a single sheet of paper with great information for the next day's port of call, but not this time and it was sorely missed. All we were provided was the times that we would be in port in the general daily "paper". Less

Read more Prinsendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Prinsendam Review >>

Cabin review: Prinsendam 029

Roomy, nice bathroom, loved the double sink. We were to have fresh flowers everyday, they didn't appear until the 3rd day.