Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by NEPhillyRN: First cruise with the the kids

NEPhillyRN
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.4

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

First cruise with the the kids

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We decided to take our 6 kids on a cruise this year... crazy, I know. I called RCI and was able to book the Royal Family suite for $100 less than booking 2 rooms and it was SO worth it. We were in 8584, aft cabin and the balcony was huge! Amazingly quiet and wonderfully peaceful.

One of the perks of the suite is the concierge. Francis was wonderful. We are not the high rollers he may be used to but he treated us just the same as if we were. Continental breakfast and cappuccino machine in the concierge lounge every morning and cocktails, appetizers and small snacks in the evening. During off hours, the lounge is also a great place to steal some quiet time.

The wait staff, Leah especially was amazing. Cruising with so many children is hard enough but she was great with our 22 month old and had her high chair, milk and coffee cup ready for her every night at dinner. I would have loved to had Leah for every meal. Most of the meals were pretty amazing. I'm not a buffet More kind of person so we went to the main dining room almost every night. Most of the meals were excellent and they did have the classics on hand for when the children couldn't find a tempting new food. there were only 2 cases where I wasn't happy. I didn't care for the tempura fried mahi-mahi (but I think that was just personal preference) and I got a mouthful of pin bones one night in the fish. Leah was quick to replace it with another selection, which was yummy shrimp dumplings. My husband and I went to the Prime Kitchen. A single table is set up in the middle of the kitchen and the kitchen manager, Tony delivered 5 delicious dishes. Okay, I only had 4 because the ship was rocking and I couldn't take it any longer... the kids were able to enjoy our dessert back in the room.

The kids were also well entertained, for the most part. Our 8 & 9 year olds loved the Ocean Adventures kids club. My almost 11 year old hated it but was too young to hang with his 13 & 16 year old siblings. The teen events kept our older ones running into the wee hours of the morning and they met a ton of new friends, some even live close to us. Boy were they upset when the baby had them up by 8am every morning! :o)

Ports... Port canaveral... my husband took 4 of the kids on a highlight bus tour that was pretty good while I took the 2 kids that had never been to Disney to Epcot Center for the day. It was hot, really hot but the crowds weren't bad for Disney standards. Nassau. Nope, I don't care to go there again. We chose not to go to Atlantis so we went down the shops for the free bracelets and charms. The store staff were all pushy and kept trying to get me to buy over priced jewelry. I'm not spending $700 on a silver ring. CocoCay was beautiful but the water was full of seaweed and debris because of a storm that appeared to be coming or had just gone. We did have some rain but it didnt affect us at all. We had a cabana and it is well worth the $200 price tag. 2 sets of snorkling gear, water mats (they say only 2 but they just have a pile of them) Champagne, bottled water, bar right there and a special buffet just for cabana guests and the food was good.

Another perk of the suite is expedited departure. We met in the concierge lounge at 7:45 and were in our cars by 8:15. In and out of customs with no problems at all.

The Grandeur may be an older ship but it offers so much the bigger ships can't. Staff gets to know your name, families, likes, dislikes, etc... it's a more personal touch and I like it that way. We are planning our next cruise on her next July... no kids this time, assuming we can get a baby sitter. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 8584

Let me start with we had my husband and my self, and 6 kids in this suite and although it was not overflowing with private space, it was no where as crowded as I expected!The aft Royal Family suite starts with a hallway, on the right is the standard bathroom with terribly tight shower. Next on the right is the smaller bedroom which is about the size of an inside state room. 2 twin beds and 2 top bunks, decent closet but no TV. On the left is a sliding glass door leading to the master bedroom. Tons of closet space, drawers, vanity and a large TV. We moved the bed towards the deck doors and had enough room to put a pack and play next to the bed for the baby with no problems. The bathroom has a shower and a tub combo. There is a living room with 4 chairs, sofa bed, TV, refrigerator and a PS3. Controllers and games are available from the concierge. The aft balcony deserves its own rave review. It is amazing. 5 deck chairs, table and 4 chairs. It wraps around the side of the ship so you can look straight down to the water or to the end of deck 7s balcony. Only negative is one night the wind was blowing towards the back of the ship and we had a bit of soot to deal with in the morning. George, the room steward took care of that without us asking.