Norwegian Star Cruise Review by angeleyes27: Older ship but fun cruise

angeleyes27
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

Older ship but fun cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

This was our 3rd cruise on NCL. We like the Freestyle dining where you don't have to be locked into a certain time and the nonformal casual dress. We have to dress up for work so we welcome the break on vacation. This ship was almost identical to the Star and Dawn.

The dining was adequate although breakfast buffett was the same every morning. I liked that they had a theme for the buffets offering some regional choices. I thought there was more choices here than the dining room. It was nice that you could have ice cream and also Chinese food or Italian plus a couple dessert choices. I also liked the grill buffet that they had by the pool on port days.

They didn't have as many activites on port days as I have seen on previous cruises but the shows were excellent. I just wish we would have been allowed to take non flash pictures. I do not get that at all and seems punitive. I would have liked to had a snapshot to remember a key moment in a show to illustrate what was More ggod about the show. At one point they said no flash photography, so I thought I could take a non flash photo. A crew member came over yelling that I couldn't take any photos, humiliating in front of the audience. It ruined the show for me.

Our cabin was always clean although on 2 days, we had no air conditioning as they were working on it. The ports are excellent and varied. We took SPB tours in St Petersburg and Berlin which were both outstanding tours and I would recommend them. We did our own thing the other days. I would not recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus in Stockholm. It was poorly run, but the Hop On Hop Off boats were good. We were both not crazy about Helsinki. The Market Square area was fun though. Tallin is easily navigable on your own.

We had inside cabin which we always get. It was fine and great for sleeping in the land of the midnight sun.

Embarkation was a bit chaotic and we took a taxi to the port from Copenhagen. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>