Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by dbdarrough: You Will Find What You're Looking For

dbdarrough
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Vision of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

You Will Find What You're Looking For

Sail Date: July 2014

As I prepared for my cruise on Vision, I read many reviews. Some focused on the positive but others focused on the negative. We just returned from this cruise and had a great time. They really packed a lot into a short amount of time. For those who wanted to stay busy with activities, they should have had no problem as there was always something going on. My travel partner and I made more of an effort to get to know others on this cruise. What we found was that we now have many new friends with common interests who we hope to stay in contact with in the future. There were highs and lows to the trip, which I will address below.

Embarkation was very quick and painless. The excitement of cruising was not ruined at all by the process of getting checked onto the boat. We aided this by double checking that we had all of the required documents ready to present at the port.

Up-Sell

As we stepped on the ship, we had people from the speciality restaurants offering us More discounts to make reservations on the spot. This was a bit frustrating as I was trying to get my bearings about me and find my way and really didn't want to be bothered about my dinner plans for the evening. We ended up signing up and having an average experience at "Chops". When we arrived the restaurant, they immediately started pushing expensive wines and steaks on us.

Demographics of the Cruisers

This was a much "younger" mix than my last cruise but all ages were represented. There was a great mixture of cultures, which I loved. During the day, the pool area on deck 9 had a lot of kids who were jumping, kicking, and splashing people in the face. This was quite frustrating but fortunately there is an adults only interior pool that is designed for "chilling" out.

Friendliness of staff

Other than a few exceptions, the crew was not overly friendly on this cruise but they were not rude either. The crew was doing their job but for the most part, they did not go out of their way to "spoil" the guests.

Food

Decent selection but it is cruise food. The Windjammer was consistent and was a good "buffet" option for dinner if you didn't want to spend the entire evening being served in the main room. The menu wasn't extensive but I felt like there was something for everyone.

Cleanliness

This was a busy cruise with a lot of activities. I think the staff did a good job of trying to keep up with the ship. To be honest, I think some of the cruisers could have done a little better job of not being slobs and picking up after themselves.

Excursions

Getting on and off the ship was decent. My frustration was that many people don't realize that when they are late for excursions, it makes others have to wait. If you are participating in an excursion, be on time! We went to Key West and Cayman on this cruise. I loved Key West but didn't care for Cayman. The island was much too "touristy" and I felt like we were being herded around in packs. Key West offers clean shops as soon as you get off the boat. We parasailed with Fury and it was great. The Pub Crawl was excellent, too. Cayman seemed dirty and I was ready to get back on the ship by noon. Others on the cruise shared my sentiments.

Go check out some shows. You can always walk out if you don't like them. The Broadway Rhythm and Rhyme was really good. (The choreography was better than the vocals) - I did not care for the Elton John show. The performer was an excellent musician but I didn't feel like he sold the crowd. The piano player in the Schooner Bar was great. We had a huge sing along on the last night of the cruise.

Summary

I am really glad I took this cruise. The ship is old but the refurb brought some new life back into it. We went looking for a good time and found it. Anything negative that I posted are just my observations and I think they are fair opinions of what I experienced. Less

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>