Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Cheng8603: Great cruise - but with some flaws

Cheng8603
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Great cruise - but with some flaws

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I tried to find some information without success before I went on to this cruise; Now I just want to set the record straight after I returned from the trip.

Overall, This cruise offer great services with great shows and nice food. However, there're some flaws:

1) Steam room: this cruise do have steam room, not just one, but two; one of them is wet with continuous steam, another one is kind of dry, doesn't matter how much water you add in the steam machine. Of course, It's free. You'll exchange your seapass (as deposit) for a locker key on 12th floor spa service deck, and get down to 11th floor to enjoy the steam.......... The flaw - both steam rooms closed too early everyday, and the spa service they charged (for example: $150 for 60 minutes massage) is really interesting.

2) Jade - Oriental Food: it's a part of buffet without extra charge........... The flaw - don't expect any great Chinese or Japanese food there. I can only use "salt and soy-sauce" to More describe these food; It's so unbearably salty, that make my parents's and wife's feet swollen. The only one good soup I ever got was an Indonesian soup (the chief chef was an Indonesian).

3) Beverage Package - We did purchase the Soft Drink package ($6.5*7=45 for each person); You'll get a beverage mug with built-in smart chip. There're a few refill machines around the cruise. It will refill your mug with a choice of hundred of flavors. But watch out, you can't make another refill until 15 minutes later. Of course, you can always show your seapass (with a coke icon) to any manned beverage stop to get a cup of "soda". However, the taste is so weird that I threw it away after just one sip..........The flaw: carrying a big mug when you running around the ship is really a pain, but it's the only way to get a "real coke".

4) Coffee - There's a great Seattle coffee shop open 24 hrs a day, offering nice coffee, tea (10 different choices), hot water, nice cold water, and "fair" dessert.........The flaw - There's no flaw, it's my most favorite spot. It's perfect!

5) Main Dining - Great services inside......The flaw: you need to wait in long line outside (begging) to be served even after you made your reservation; sometimes the amount of food they offered is only good enough to feed a chicken. I ended up going to buffet or other places again in order not to get hungry at those nights.

6) Off shore excursion: When to make a reservation is really an art (or luck). Few weeks before I made my trip, the price for one specific off shore excursion was $69, it suddenly jumped to $99 2-3 weeks before the sailing date, a day before the off shore excursion when you were on the cruise, there were "limited offer" for $39 or $49.........The flaw - No comment, just wish you good luck!

7) Shower: The water flow coming out from the shower sprinkler in our stater room was surprisingly strong and hot. It was really comfortable. I enjoyed my shower everyday. Also, since It's soft water, it go well with just a little bit of bathing gel the cruise provided.......The flaw: the shower room is round and small, I keep hitting the wall or door when I washed my back.

8) Merchandise: trust me, they are in the business of making money, so they'll find out all the possible ways to make money on you. There are "sales" everywhere and everyday. You just need to find out what is really a "sales"! Be careful whether there's any hidden fees like gratuity before you make your purchase. My wife was so upset by one of the purchase (10 cups) she made, they didn't tell her in advance about the hidden gratuity, and there's no return afterward. Another off shore beverage purchase can not be cancelled because they were not equipped to do that. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas 7686

Nice space! Comfortable bed that's big enough, soft enough, and yet firm enough. Great stater room attendant service! Even now my wife still keep saying "I need my Maria (name of our attendant) back"!The only problem is the shower. It is round and small, I kept hitting the wall or door when I washed my back. However, the water flow coming out from the shower sprinkler in our stater room was surprisingly strong and hot. It was really comfortable. I enjoyed my shower everyday. Also, since It's soft water, it go well with just a little bit of bathing gel the cruise provided.

very unorganized, bad local service and management; of course, there are good staff everywhere, even in here, but some staff here are just not well trained and very inpatient, including people in the beverage stop and first aid station. My wife sprained her ankle here and asking for help at their first aid station, all they can do is give you a zipper bag, and tell you to find the ice on your own, not even a kind word or attitude.

Read 358 Labadee Reviews