Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by LadyValkyrie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by LadyValkyrie
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: LadyValkyrie
Cruise Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Extremely Disappointed with RCI

After sailing with Royal Caribbean on several occasions (member of Crown & Anchor) my husband and I were very disappointed with many different items with this particular cruise.

First off, we booked a balcony suite #9606. When we arrived of course we went directly to the balcony and I was surprised to find rust dripping off the pipes overhead. Not a very good first impression. Secondly, the restroom had chipped paint and bubbles in the finish around the waste can area. The couch looked old and worn. It looked very dated other than the flat screen TV (poor reception).

First night we went to Rita's Crab Shack, wanting to experience fresh Alaskan crab legs. Had to make a reservation which there was only one other couple. The crab tasted terrible. It was like frozen, cooked, refroze and then cooked again. Not worth the $70 we paid for this meal. Being a Crown & Anchor member, I was supposed to get a B1G1 glass of wine. When the bill came and it didn't reflect this, the waiter was argumentative and said that it didn't come up that way and I could go to Guest Services to get it fixed. We left and went to Guest Services and was told they could not fix it. If I didn't have another glass of wine to come back later and he would see what could be done then. Not a great first impression at their specialty restaurants.

Did not go to dinner the second night because it was Formal Night and we were not prepared. Went to the dining room on the 3rd night, which was my birthday and RC was notified of this when I booked the cruise, and were one of the first to arrive. While the other table mates were arriving, the waiters kept pointing and talking about our table. Apparently flipping to see who was going to serve us that night. My tablemates told us that the people who served us were not the regulars. That night's menu consisted of different fish options and venison, of which I don't eat either. My husband had steak and I had linguini pomadore, which both were mediocre. We were one of the very last to leave. Poor service from the dining room staff. Needless to say, Windjammer was our choice for the rest of the cruise. With the different wait staff that would explain why my birthday wasn't acknowledged. Mind you, we have had other birthday celebrations before and did not have to remind the staff. They knew it ahead of time.

One evening we were sitting in the common area and noticed the tables were dated and all chipped up at the bottom where people's feet would kick it. Looked bad.

The shows were mostly geared towards older guests. All were singing/dancing shows other than the comedian on the last night. He was the most enjoyable show.

Our stateroom attendant was exceptional. Very attentive and always greeted us with a smile. She received an extra tip to show our appreciation.

The food in the Windjammer was always good. No complaints there.

All in all I was disappointed with the total experience. The ports were great and I did not do any RC excursions. I did them on my own and saved a lot of money.

Publication Date: 08/03/14