Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by chawkjewel: Most relaxing cruise

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Most relaxing cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Just a quick review to say what a great time we had on this cruise. I know Royal Caribbean can't control the weather but it was great. I think the good weather probably contributed to the generally good dispositions of folks that we encountered.

Embarkation was as quick as everyone had mentioned. I was pleased that the ship didn't seem as crowded when we got on as I was expecting, given that the rooms weren't available yet. We ended up getting a table up in the solarium while waiting for the room to be ready. That gave us easy access to the ice cream machine. One word of note here: we pre-purchased the soda package but the cups are in the room so we couldn't use the machines for soda until we got to the room. You can get a soda at the bar, but we didn't bother.

Our room was great. The balconies are much larger on this ship than normal. We spent many hours just enjoying the trip from the balcony.

I would have to say that the food was so-so. The first morning More we ordered room service. I did not enjoy the eggs at all. The dinners were just fine - nothing special. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants except Johnny Rockets. We really enjoyed our meal there and the waiters did dance. I think our favorite eating area was Sorrentos. We ate there almost daily for a small snack or dessert. Another treat was figuring out that the Cafe Promenade had free coffee set up for self service. It took me until day 3 to realize they didn't only serve specialty coffee. We had my time dining so we ate on deck 5 every night. I don't know if it is true in the rest of the MDR but they use radios to notify the entry attendants of which tables were clean. These radios were very loud and intrusive to our conversation at times. They should utilize a wireless headset system or something.

We only did one excursion - in Grand Cayman. Again, the weather was great so there were no complaints about the excursion and port. Labadee was great and we were able to spend quite a bit of time just relaxing and floating in the water.

Disembarkation was a whole different story. This was the longest it has ever taken to get off a ship. I think the main problem was a broken escalator in the terminal but it didn't seem very organized. After they line everyone up then they kept trying to bring through people in wheelchairs as well as their entire families. You would think that they would have a separate process for that. Surely there is a better way.

In summary, I didn't want this trip to end and we would cruise on this ship anytime. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas 7698

Great room. Larger than expected/normal balcony.