Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Lucy.B: Very Mixed Experience
Overall Member Rating
Very Mixed Experience
Destination: Baltic Sea
The itinerary of Celebrity's Baltic & Northern Europe cruise on Constellation is excellent with a good ratio of sea and port days. The cruising experience on the Constellation itself was mediocre for a number of reasons:
- The ship has received a "facelift" but you can tell that it is an older vessel missing many of the amenities and the "flashiness" of newer cruise ships.
- We did not book any shore excursions with Celebrity. In some ports a free shuttle bus (like offered by other companies) would have been nice.
- The entertainment program left much to be desired. The quality of the life music and evening shows (if any) were very mixed and most of the so called "lectures" turned out to be sales pitches for port excursion or advertisement for on-board shopping. The sport program is not up to standard; Yoga and Pilates are not worth the fee.
- We were very unhappy with the food. The quality in the main dining room was "hit and miss"; there were More a few delicious items but in general the meals did not hold up to the flamboyant description in the menu. Salads looked and tasted tired and especially fish dishes were very disappointing. There was no lobster day as common on other cruises. Most of the food at the Ocean Grill (buffet restaurant) was of very low quality, boring and basically the same throughout the cruise.
- We were in "Select Dining" and were asked to make dinner reservations. Be advised that a reservation makes no difference where and when you will be seated. We asked for a window table several times (and would have accepted to wait for one) but were assigned noisy tables at the rail although several window tables were available. Until the end of the cruise we were not able to find out what gets you on a preferred table - it is clearly not the "first come first serve" rule.
- In general the dining room staff is very friendly and one of the Sommeliers was outstanding. Expect that your left over wine from the day before might get missing. Once a waiter spilled champagne over my pants, offered an apology but did not even refill the glass.
- Specialty Dining: The Ocean Liner Restaurant is excellent and worth the fee but we had a much below average experience at the Tuscan Grill. Neither the food nor the service were convincing and worth the additional cost.
- Upon embarkation we deposited 2 bottles of liquor with the Constellation staff and were promised to get them delivered to our stateroom the night before disembarkation. We never saw the 2 bottles (which were a pricy souvenir from a micro distillery in Amsterdam) again. Guest relations was less than helpful in locating our liquor and gave us conflicting answers - first they could not find it, after we presented the claim check they told us that it was found and will be delivered, then we were informed that it was delivered to the wrong stateroom, etc. etc. (recently we learnt that friends had a similar experience on a Celebrity ship). This experience thoroughly spoilt our last evening on the Constellation and convinced us to make cruising plans with other companies in the future. Less
Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>
Cabin review: 2111
Pretty much standard - what you would expect.
Crowds and Noise! Making It H...
Fabulous cruise, shame about t...
Historic towns and interesting...
Great ports, so-so ship, rude ...
Eastern Mediterranean with Fam...
Magnificent Constellation Memo...
Marvellous Mediterranean - Fir...
We need a vacation to recover ...