“Alaska Cruise, July 20 to 27, 2014.”
Cruise review of Holland America Amsterdam

racer72 Amsterdam 5 Alaska Cruise, July 20 to 27, 2014.
racer72
Member Since 2014
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

I took my first cruise, my wife her second on the Amsterdam. Overall, the cruise was about what we expected. The food was generally very good, occasionally stuff that should be hot was barely warm or cold. The dessert selection was fantastic, it's a wonder we didn't put on any weight on the cruise. We found the bed to be rather stiff, I woke up with back aches a couple days. Our stewards kept our cabin spotless.

Only have a few gripes. We reserved a large cabin but it was at smallest of the range given. We did have plenty of storage for our stuff though. Our cabin was under the Queens lounge, we could hear the music from the lounge at night. Not loud enough to be disturbing though. Our dinner at the Pinnacle Grill was ruined by a large boisterous party of 13 seated in the same room. Lastly, the gal that worked the gift shop couldn't care less about the guests. She refused a simple request to find a shirt in my size then ignored customers in the shop while a couple of the ship's officers looked around. The last gripe is the lack of trash receptacles on the ship. It wasn't uncommon to see trash left abandoned around the ship. I often carried empty paper cups all the way back to my cabin for disposal.

The very good was the food in the Pinnacle Grill and the Canneletto. The staff (except for one) was very friendly. The entertainment was top notch. The gal that did a black and white photo shoot for us went above the call of duty.

Amsterdam Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

3305
Cabin is at the smaller end of the sizes given. No tub, just a shower.

Gardens/Hatchery

Very nice excursion. Jameson was very informative even though he had been on the job just a short time. The hatchery visit was too long, the Rainforest gardens and Mendenhall Glacier visits were too short.

Port

Spent the morning shopping in Ketchikan. Avoid the jewelry stores and those selling Chinese crap by the pier, go into town to Creek Street and that area.

Read 1,249 Ketchikan Reviews
Port

Nice tour. Michelle took us to 3 different shops selling local artist's wares. Then we went to her shop. She told us about the differnt types of glass working. We each got to draw our own glass cane. Would have like better package for the trip home, mine was just wrapped in some paper.

Read 225 Sitka Reviews
Port

Pier is outside of town, cost $10 each for a bus ride to downtown. Usual tourist trap stores. Fortunately there was a street market going at the time, lots of local stuff for sale.

Read 775 Victoria Reviews
Published 08/01/14
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Amsterdam Review
Amsterdam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?