Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by llani: This was nice vacation but not as good as hoped.

llani
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

This was nice vacation but not as good as hoped.

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Port of Bayonne: Lousy signage caused us to make several U-turns on the way to the Port. Facilities were very crowded and slow going through security and getting on the ship.

Arriving on ship: Don't know why they insist on forcing everyone into the Buffet line! Buffet restaurant is very confusing and too small for that many people. Food was terrible and the service attendance were worse. Not a good way to start off the vacation.

Luggage: arrived in a reasonable time

Cabin: Small but clean and adequate with plenty of storage and hangers in the closet. Cabin attendant was wonderful (Sarah). She always provided ice and was very responsive with requests. Quickly cleaned the room and surprised us with a few towel animals.

Entertainment: The best entertainment of any cruise I have been on ( I have only been on 3) Mr. Carnell was not my favorite (a bit too Broadway for me) The ship should highlight the "cirque" style performers more as they were More excellent!

Food: I will open that I hate buffet style dining so my opinion in this area is very harsh with the exception of the Burgers and Fries served poolside. Sit down restaurant food was fine but I have had better in "fine dining" restaurants. Some items were not as advertised, example was the seared scallopes that were really broiled. Our server, Ballan, was wonderful and very friendly.

Activities: Too many events that are really just ploys to get you to buy stuff. Several events happen at the same time so we missed some of the things we wanted to do. Not enough dance lessons and trivia games etc.

Health Club: A bit crowded but I never had to wait long for an available machine. Need cups for getting water.

Bermuda: What can you say except that it is a lovely destination that is clean and friendly. Turquoise water, pink sand, rum swizzle's and coral reefs, in short, paradise. Don't love that they dock at the Dockyards as it is on the far end of the Island a bit far Hamilton and St. George, but the ferry service is fine enough. We rented a moped for one day through Oleander which is the only way to get around the Island by yourself. Fun but a bit uncomfortable and not for the faint of heart!

We did the Catamaran Snorkel excursion and it was the highlight of our trip. Very reasonably priced and our ships Captain was very hospitable and provided a free round of Rum Swizzle's after we snorkeled. Highly recommend snorkeling in Bermuda as they have some of the healthiest and most beautiful coral reefs in the world. Not to be missed!

Atmosphere on ship: Most of the crew was very friendly. This ship leaves from New Jersey so be prepared to spend time around loud and often rude people who are very hard to please. We did meet many very friendly folks from Pennsylvania and Europe.

Overall it was a good trip. My husband I determined that we are a bit too young to be regular cruisers. We are active and fit enough to go to many destinations around the world and we enjoy more time exploring than cruising allows . We are novice foodies and were a bit disappointed by the food. Cruising is for people who don't want to walk too much and care more about quantity of food than quality. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>