“Expected more”

UrsulaE1 Costa neoRomantica 2 Expected more
UrsulaE1
Member Since 2007
Overall Member Rating

This was a cruise I especially looked forward to , going North along the Norwegian coast had been on my to do list for a long time . The Costa Neoromantica is relatively small compared to the ships we have sailed on previously , and it was our first Costa experience . We embarked in Amsterdam after a transatlantic flight , and we ended up being the first to arrive at the terminal . This gave me high hopes we would also be among the first to board the ship . We ended up being among the last , which reflects how poorly organized the process was . This was also the first time we had to stand in line again inside the ship to get our credit card hooked up to our Costa card . As expected everyone was sent to the buffet restaurant to have lunch , by the time we got some food it was almost 3 o'clock .

Our cabin was just a standard balcony cabin , but it was surprisingly spacious , and the storage was the best I ever experienced on a cruise ship . I pounced on the coffee maker on the desk , because to my dismay there was no drink station at the restaurant . You actually have to pay for every cup of coffee or tea except at breakfast . Really , Costa ??? I mean , you get used to being charged for lots of things on cruise ships , but on all other ships we could get at least coffee , tea , and water at beverage stations in the buffet restaurant . Surprise , surprise , every coffee pod for the machine in the cabin was added to your bar tab .

Being the tech nerd that I am , I purchased 3 hours of internet time to do some emailing etc , and I kept track by writing down my log-in times . They cut me off after half the time telling me my time was up . The arguing with guest services didn't do anything . They insisted they were right . I sprang for one more hour later into the cruise , got cut off after half the time . I had enough after that and decided to do without .

The food in the buffet restaurant was not bad , selection was good , the ice cream was fabulous . However , the food they served at dinner in the main dining room was mediocre at best and heavily fish based . A couple of times I had to return my food because it was simply inedible . Never happened to us before on any ship we were on , and we have been on lots .

The one really good thing was the itinerary , we got to see some marvellous sights and magnificent landscapes .

If you decide to go for it , bring a good supply of Gravol , we ran into some really rough seas .

No More Costa for me after this experience .

Costa neoRomantica Cruises to the Baltic Sea

Published 08/01/14
Read Cruise Critic’s Costa neoRomantica Review
Costa neoRomantica Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?