Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by jrcooper7: Wife's Father's Day Gift Cruise for my Son and I on the Oasis

jrcooper7
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Wife's Father's Day Gift Cruise for my Son and I on the Oasis

Sail Date: July 2014

After seeing the inaugural voyage of the Oasis of the Seas on the Smithsonian Channel on my Roku I just knew I wanted to experience the biggest cruise ship in the world. So for Father’s Day my loving wife my dear wife surprised me by giving me a cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas July 19, 2014 through July 26, 2014. Since my son’s birthday was on the 21st and he had never cruised before I asked if he wanted to go and he agreed to put down his down payment. I told him we would be visiting Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico.

We flew in from another state and we met up in Fort Lauderdale. At the end of the terminal was Bags to Go which charged $10.00 a bag to transfer our bags to the ship so we could spend some time in the city before the cruise took off at 5:00 pm. The city offered a free trolley ride to downtown. We boarded another trolley and bought a $3.00 all day pass. That trolley took us to the beach. After spending some More time walking around the beach area we took a different trolley. Then we walked to Port Everglades which was only a couple of miles from the trolley stop.

Needless to say when we approached the ship we were greatly impressed with its girth. Truly this was a very large cruise ship and when we got onboard the features of this ship were quite impressive. It had all the amenities and then some. The Aqua Theater was very large with two giant screens and just enough seating. As we looked up we saw a zip line which we immediately signed waivers so we could fly across right above the boardwalk. What really impressed us was Central Park on the 8th floor of the ship. Truly its 12,000 plus trees and foliage was an oasis. I spent time there reading and listening to the excellent variety of music from classical to light popular.

The two floor Opal dining room with its large chandelier in the center was tastefully decorated and the food was in keeping with Royal Caribbean’s fine dining experience. Being a vegan is usually challenging to chefs, but after the maitre de visited our table and I explained dietary needs he went to the chef and from day forward every meal was above and beyond my expectations. Needless to say my son and I gave him and our waiter a Wow extra gratuity.

We booked our excursions weeks before boarding except for Cozumel as my wife told me it was a lot less expensive to book a parasail once we got. For Labadee Haiti we booked two excursions, the Labadee Snorkel Safari and the Dragon's Breath Flight Line. I had bought two underwater cameras before leaving so we used one for Labadee and the other for Falmouth, Jamaica for the Snorkel Cruise & Dunn's River Falls excursion. I enjoyed snorkeling and took all the pictures, but truly the zip line experience was tremendous. They had us do a 100 foot trial line before taking us up the mountain to the Dragon's Breath Flight Line. This was I believe the longest zip line in the world and went from the top all the way down to the beach. There even was a small roller coaster on the top of the mountain which would have been fun to do, but that was not included in the excursion.

Entertainment was tops once again and I liked Hairspray and Earl Johnson show. There were only two negative experiences on this cruise. One had nothing to do with Royal Caribbean which was two drunken hecklers, one guy and a woman, who spoiled the comedy routine by interrupting often enough for our crowd to eventually boo them out of the room. They guy after interrupting with dumb comments even had the gall to say that the comedian was not earning enough money. My son and I felt the comedian handled the hecklers quite well, but we were deprived of what could have been a good belly laughing routine as these guys were quite good. The MC was a chubby one and after warming up the audience he did a snowman dance between comedians that had us almost rolling in the aisles. The other negative was that the ear splitting decibel volume in the Opal Theater was damaging to our hearing. The kid next to me also had his fingers in his ears. When I later dined I mentioned this to my table mates and they chimed in that they too felt the music and voices were being broadcast much too loud for them to enjoy the shows.

On the last day we all felt we did not want it to end. This was a magnificent cruise, better that any of the over a dozen cruises I have taken. The décor of the ship was very well done. The artists I could tell were from the higher base some well known in circles that tastefully deal with light diffraction and ambiance that sets the mood for quite enjoyment. Not to say that you had that quiet all the time for there was something for everybody on this ship. For example the Dazzle Theater and the jazz ensembles had their dancing crowds in their places. What I noticed was no matter how loud the music was in any part of the ship, when you got to your room all was quiet. This ship was built with minute attention to detail. I was much impressed with the round staircase that led from the boardwalk to the photo deck on the sixth floor. It was translucent blue and reminded me of the helicopter trip my wife I took to the Roberts Glacier on our cruise to the Alaska Inner Passage. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas 8210

The cabin was smaller than other RC balcony staterooms which had a tub, but since we stay so little in it except for reading and sleep, it as OK. It was port side so I could not see the docking as I usually like to do, but still it was quiet and comfortable.

Mayan Ruins

(4)

The Cozumel experience was different for we landed at another part of Cozumel. My son and I decided to go ashore and see what was offered. We booked a parasail experience with an independent operator since. But my son wanted to see the Mayan ruins so we asked to the RC excursion booking agent onshore to sign us up for the next bus, which he did. After an hour long drive we got to the ruins and our guide took us along many places and temple ruins. Of course these ruins were a lot smaller than others I have seen like Tulum and Costa Maya, but still since he had never seen ruins before he liked them. Our guide talked about the mathematical talents of the Mayan, but that did not interest me and a few others .I found out later that he did this because it was a 20 minute walk to one of the other main temples. After we visited the shops and I bought a throw blanket. Then we drove to a beach which had two large coral rock hills that our guide warned us to be careful not to go on as coral is sharp. Since I had walked Aruba coral I decided to ignore the warning and enjoyed some spectacular views of rock water cutouts and beautiful shorelines that reminded of me of the Pacific Coast highway 101 views in California.

Dunn's River Falls

(5)

However, the Dunn River Falls was better this time as I got to go all the way to the top. The last time I did Dunn’s River Falls there were no guides and we had to end our climb as the tour guide said we were out of time. Another thing different was we were led up the falls and held each other's hand. This improvement left us helping each other as some of the climbers fell and had to be helped from time to time.

Snorkeling

(5)

Every snorkel experience is different and the Falmouth, Jamaica Snorkel Cruise & Dunn's River Falls excursion was interesting. This one had less of the yellow and black fish than some of the other islands I have snorkeled like the COSOL Tour for Saint Lucia Soufriere Overlook of the Pitons.

Read 366 Labadee Reviews