Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by cruiseinfoseeker: 8 Night Carnival Splendor Cruise

cruiseinfoseeker
Member Since 2006

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

8 Night Carnival Splendor Cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I recently returned from an 8 night cruise aboard the Carnival Spendor. This is my first formal review of any ship I have been on. It was my 25th cruise. I have sailed with RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, and Princess. This was my 4th cruise on Carnival. I've stayed in nearly every category of accommodation available and have no problem flip flopping -- butler one cruise, no window the next)

This was a cruise taken with just myself and my 12 year old son. We were in a 1A inside cabin on deck 7. It was an upper and lower only cabin and we actually really enjoyed it. The cabin definitely had enough room for a second bed on the floor so it was nice to have that extra floor space. It made the cabin seem so much more inviting. Our cabin attendant emptied the fridge upon my request. I asked for extra towels every day, as well as ice at each room refresh. He was on the mark and I was pleased with our service.

Leaving from NY was very convenient for us. After a traffic-free 45-50 More minute drive we were at the pier. I purchased FTTF. Check-in was a breeze and after a short wait we boarded without any problems.

I headed right over to the excursion desk to choose our Cabana for HMC. That was a bit slow moving. They had one person working the desk with a long line already formed by the time I reached it and it just got longer by the time I left with still no additional staff there. But I got the cabana I had wanted to all was good.

My son and I went to our cabin right away and it was ready. Then we toured the ship a little and had some lunch at the buffet. It took approx. 1 hour for our first piece of luggage to arrive. When it did, it was damaged. Someone had pulled up the handle extension and I guess the luggage fell or something and it jammed one of the extension bars bent so that it didn't go down. At 2:30 we still didn't have our second piece of luggage so I went to Guest Service to inquire as FTTF guest were to receive luggage "fast." While there I noted to them that the piece that did come was damaged. No response on that.

After muster we still had not received our second piece of luggage so I headed down to Guest Services again to inquire and again I mentioned the broken luggage, and again, no response.

Luggage finally came shortly after I went for Guest Service visit. No explanation as to why it was late. It had both tags I placed on both handles still affixed, as well as the "FTTF" tag placed on it by the pier porter.

We went to the Steakhouse for dinner on the first evening. Other than the initial bad impression given to me when they were not ready for us (arrived 5:55 for 6:00 reservation---Steakhouse supposed to open at 5:30 anyway) then they made us wait at least 10+ minutes in the elevator hall while they had a staff meeting...BUT when we were seated everything went smoothly from there. In fact, we enjoyed the meal so much that we booked res. that night to go back on the last evening of the cruise. It was just as good that time as well.

We had anytime (or whatever they call it) dining and went to the dining room 5 of the evenings. The service was very good and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked almost everything I ate even though the descriptions on the menu had me concerned when I ordered. I think my son enjoyed most everything he had as well.

Room service was hit and miss. They were slow at delivering one night, and then the next the got the order wrong (the slip had the right order, but one item delivered was ham & cheese on white with mayo when I ordered turkey on rye with no cheese or mayo)

Breakfast slip order problems one day as well. Decided to not bother with the service anymore.

Circle C was great for my son. He really enjoyed it. The manager of that area is a really nice fellow, I was happy to tip him a little at the end of the cruise. In retrospect, I wish I had tipped a little more.

I attended the stage show on the second evening (formal night) I think I am pretty easy to please when it comes to entertainment, but ugh...I thought it was awful...so much so that I couldn't get past 15 minutes and left (quietly as I was on an end seat)

My son and I attended the show with the comedy magician. It was amateurish, but fun.

The casino ate my money :(

HMC- Cabana was wonderful. The weather was great. It is a beautiful island.

Grand Turk- we went to Margaritaville. Nice pool and a good time.

Nassau-We got a day pass (not thru Carnival) for Hilton British Colonial. We thought it was excellent and an excellent value.

Ships pools were super crowded. Not a big deal to me as every ship I have ever been on has been the same problem. I only chose to go by the aft pool one day and was able to find a chair at approx. 9:30 with ease. It was the third sea day so I don't know if the first two were as easy as that at that time.

FTTF gave us the option to leave as soon as we wanted upon arrival in NY. We chose to leave our luggage the night before so we were given "1" departure. By 9:00 we were off the ship, shortly thereafter we were picking up our luggage and going through customs. My ride was able to find a nice close spot to sit and wait for us without being bothered to move by the cops, so by 10:05 we were home and at 10:10 I had my first load of laundry washing!

I had a few problems on this cruise and I brought them to the attention of a guest services manager. They were very interested in helping to make things better and I appreciate that.

I recommend the Splendor. It has some problems and is VERY PINK, but I am sure everyone can find a way to have a great time on her. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Upper/Lower Empress 7345

This cabin was great. It had an upper and a lower which allowed for lots of floor space. It really helped to create an open, large feeling to the room.It is near the laundry room on deck 7, which is also close to the center stairs and elevators. Storage was plenty in both room closets and bathroom.