Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by lady95: Alaskan Cruise

Alaskan Cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our fifth cruise with NCL and our first time to Alaska. Prior to the cruise we spent two days in Seattle exploring the city. It was absolutely beautiful and we had a great time. If you have the opportunity, check out Seattle it was well worth it.

Our cruise got off to a rocky start due to not using our regular travel agent. It wasn't a good experience. In the future I will probably book directly with the cruise line.

Having said that, Alaska was absolutely breathtaking and I really enjoyed getting off the ship and exploring.

I was not impressed with NCL this time around. There was quite a bit lacking in this cruise as opposed to my previous cruises with them.

First, I did not like our cabin (but that was the travel agent's fault). We were in room 8520 which was directly over the theater and our balcony was somewhat enclosed so the feel of the room was very claustrophobic.

Our steward Arsenio, was fantastic and very efficient. We More were out of the room a lot which I think made his job a little easier.

The ship was way to crowded and I agree with some of my fellow passengers' there were a lot of rude, inconsiderate and demanding passengers on this ship who didn't think twice of not waiting their turn in line, cutting in front of you or taking utensils out of your hand so they could serve themselves. The behavior of the adults filtered down to the children who I would see running through hallways and open areas. We spent to much time inside and these kids needed to burn off some steam.

The food was just ok. My chief complaint, hardly any gluten free options. Why does NCL ask if there are any dietary restrictions if they are not going to honor them? When my husband inquired for me what was gluten free, one of the chef's told him everything was and that he had to look. On two occasions at the buffet, I was trying to ask for gluten free bread. I was ignored by staff and finally found a chef who said I'll be right back. Needless to say he never came back. I finally gave up and just did the best I could for the rest of the week. Very disappointed that lobster night had been discontinued though it was substituted with seafood pasta that had lobster in it. But because of the gluten thing, that didn't work in my favor. There was redemption in Ketchikan when we had grilled salmon on deck 12. The weather was beautiful and the margarita's were fabulous.

We attended two shows, Oh What a Night (tribute to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons) and Second City. The singers' in Frankie Valli were very good but the jokes were not. Parts of the Second City show I had seen on previous cruises; it needed some fresh material.

One thing puzzled me about this cruise. On more then one occasion, staff members asked us to fill out cards rating their service and to please give them good reviews. I don't know if contracts were coming due but something was definitely up.

Our excursion to Tracy Arms was fantastic and Blake and Colton were exceptional tour guides. I highly recommend taking that tour, the beauty of Alaska was unsurpassed and we got to see the glaciers breaking off and becoming icebergs three times. Do bring your hats, gloves and warm jackets because it gets cold. All in all I enjoyed spending time with my family and exploring Seattle and Alaska. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 8520

This is a small cabin located above the theater. The balcony is somewhat enclosed on either side which adds to a feeling of being claustrophobic. Not much room to walk around and there is only one side table and outlets are not situated in convenient areas.