Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by AZDEP: Poor Service, Bad Attitude, Made Me Want to Leave Early

AZDEP
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Poor Service, Bad Attitude, Made Me Want to Leave Early

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Our experience was so bad that I actually had to come to this page to see if someone had the same experience or I got in the wrong ship. This ship is the Ryanair or EasyJet version of cruising. The general review is CLEARLY outdated and in my opinion is less that truthful when it comes to service. However, there are some positives for our trip as well (not many) which I will include.

The Good:

- our cabin attendant was always friendly and provided excellent service.

- the 'specialty' restaurants were good in all aspects. However, it seems this was the only way to go in order to get good service (see my comments about the waiters below).

- Blue Man group was great as usual

- Other shows like Soul Collection and Graffiti were also outstanding

- The welcoming back to ship at port with wet towels and cold water while you wait in line.

The Bad:

- overcrowded and the staff clearly overwhelmed, which lead to scare issues More such as a FIRE in the kitchen that required a 'code bravo' being called on the speakers and the captain later apologizing on the speakers.

- to the point above: understaffed. The staff dreads to serve you, the fact that they are hating life is clear in their faces.

- The waiters are clearly the worst. I went a couple of times to the Manhattan (Epic's dress up free dining room). The waiters would come up to you and tell you plainly "order everything at once because I don't want to come back." One of the them went so far as to keep staring at his watch while I was still looking through the menu. We were clearly an incovenience. If you want to pay a few thousands of dollars to feel like you are begging for your food and get the impression you are receiving charity then this is the cruise for you.

- The shore excursions are overpriced. They always are. I could deal with that if it wasn't for the fact that I was promised a guide to Mt. Vesubius and our guide left us at the entrance AND we wasted precious time at a stupid cameo factory (the time you waste here with your tour is made up by rushing you frantically through the stuff you really want to see) and overall you don't get to enjoy the experience you paid for. The Rome tour was a bit better. The guide actually stayed with you, an escort made sure nobody got lost and you could understand the guide. However, this thing about stopping at some shop that nobody cares is a recurrent topic.

- Finding a seat for breakfast or lunch is a challenge. The food is OK. I wouldn't rave about it but it is ok.

- The kids pool was drained and one of the two 'bigger' pools have blocked access. So the only thing open for 4,000+ people was a pool the size of two queen size beds. The water was so dirty it actually look whiteish and you could see the reflections of oils on the surface. Nasty stuff but it was still packed with people to the point that you couldn't really see where you could fit.

- Because of the situation above I went to another pool at the aft of the ship with my toddler. I didn't know it was prohibited for my 18-month old to be there with me (it is an adult only pool). I wasn't asked to leave...I was rudely escorted out of there.

- etc, etc, etc Less