Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by mhoff1993: Our 1st Cruise

Our 1st Cruise

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

Never having been on a cruise before I was not sure what I was getting into. I have heard of the horror stories of other cruises and didn't what to get caught in one of those situations. We chose to leave out of Boston, MA so we didn't have to go through the hassle of flying somewhere and having airline issues. It was just a short 2 hour drive anyway. Finding the port was easy and the boarding process was good for the most part. Only question is "Why give out boarding groups if after calling out 4 or 5 you just give everyone left the go ahead?"

On board life was a great experience. Our room was great, staff was excellent and the motion of the ship didn't bother us. The land excursions were great and fairly priced except the small debate of child age pricing? Under most of the event a 13 year old was a child except for off board excursions where they were classified an adult requiring a full price.

Speaking of pricing. Watch out for the hidden charges and somewhat More over pricing of the SPA. If you plan on pampering yourself make sure you extra $$$$$$$ to it. Really, $129 per person just to use the SPA area i.e. swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi?? Needless to say I didn't see it being used much by anyone.

You have to clone yourself if you plan on attending several events. Timing is terrible. Most of them overlap each other. Not sure on the bargain you are getting from the jewelry?? Quality seems not to be up to expectations. Bought a Bella and Rose watch and the secondary hands don't even work. Seems to be just another cheap watch of poor quality. It didn't even come with setup instructions.

The land excursions were fairly priced and to suit any category.

We decided to upgrade to a balcony room. Glad we did. I saw a lower level room with just a porthole window. Just let me say, "Claustrophobic". Our Steward was excellent. He entertained us with his towel animals.

The food!! Well I can see how people would gain weight on a cruise if you didn't control yourself. I enjoyed the Freestyle cruising which meant that you could eat at whatever time you wanted and didn't have to "Dress Up" to go unless you wanted to.

The disembarking was a joke. You could either request a specific time to exit by taking a colored luggage tag or use the "self-assist" option which apparently most do. This cause a backup line which rounded around the ship and inside twice. It took us longer to get off the ship than it do to get on? All it did was to backup the elevators since with luggage you were lucky to get two people plus bags. Speaking of elevators. How are these things programmed? You were see an elevator coming up yet it would NOT stop at your floor even after pressing the button?? I regress. I thing the "self-assist" departure should be eliminated to speed up the departure process. But that's just me.

Over all we enjoyed our first cruise to Bermuda. The country was beautiful and the people friendly. The weather cooperated and was lovely. Yes, we have already began discussing our next cruise to Alaska. Happy Cruising!!!! Until Next Time... Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 10108

The was a great location for a room. Close to the elevators and being mid-ship I don't feel you fell the motion of the ship as much. The location was quiet from ship noises. It was located on starboard side so we have a port side view once we go into Bermuda. Our Steward was great. Great towel animals.