Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Scottusc: I loved the ship.....

Scottusc
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Eastern Caribbean Cruises

I loved the ship.....

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

After reading the reviews online, obviously I was a little hesitant, but I am so glad we didn't listen to most of the whiners on here. This was only my 2nd cruise ever (first was Sept '13 on Oasis of the Seas, biggest in world) so I may have some comparisons between the two, so excuse me now.

I will say I had no idea when ship was built as Destiny in 1996 that it was biggest cruise ship in the world, so that was kind of cool to know that. Let's start from the beginning however....

Getting on the boat was a little time consuming as I think everyone and their mother showed up at same time, even the Carnival lady outside said she had never seen it like that before. But we were on the ship within 30 minutes or so. The interior of the ship is literally a brand new ship, very very clean and nice. Going from the biggest ship in the world to this one, I nor my fiance knew how I would handle it. I can say that I loved the size of it. I could be anywhere I wanted within a More minute or two it felt like. We had a balcony on the 6th floor so I could be up to the pool on 9 with 3 flights of stairs or down to the casino on 5, or lobby on 3. When I was on Oasis, you better strap up your laces, you have to walk a long long way to get where you are going.

Our room was about what you would expect, but it was very nice. The shower is HUGE compared to the Oasis so that was a plus and made the fiance happy, as well as me. Our lady that took care of our room was awesome, we talked to her all week and she cleaned us up twice a day. She had 26 staterooms, I can't imagine having to do that all day and night. Needless to say, she got a nice tip from us in the end. Balcony was perfect when we wanted to catch some air.

The pool/serenity/water park/ropes course is just a very cool set up. Still don't know why they make the pools so small, as you could hang up swimming without kids in the main pool. Thank goodness for the awesome set up on serenity and the adult pool. What a great idea by Carnival. 3 stories, waterfall, pool, hot tub, and their own bar. And no kids. Loved that area and the design. The water slides are no joke!!! I thought I would be fine but now that I'm 34 and approaching 200 pounds, you can gain some serious speed on them. They have 3 slides and also the kid water stuff they could play on. Felt like I was at a real water park. Kudos to Carnival for that addition. The ropes course is neat too, we did that on the last day and had a ball up there. Its not hard so def try it out. If 10 year old's can do it, you can too. Bottom line, the outside area was done perfectly. Forgot about the other two pool bars, guys burger, taco place all right there too. Also, basketball court, ping pong, pool tables, putt putt, etc. It has it all outside in my opinion.

The first two nights we ate our 8:15 dinner time. Will say it was a bit strange eating with 6 other strangers but it turned out great. All were younger couples like us so we got along just fine. Would I have liked my own table? Sure. But it was def more entertaining sitting with a cool group of people. Service first two nights wasn't the best as I didn't know who the drink person was and barely knew my waiter. I will admit, my two servers on Oasis were the best so I had a high standard already in my head, so maybe I'm being a little critical. Food was good, portions seemed a little smaller than Oasis though, but guess doesn't matter when you can order as many entrees as you want, haha. Market place buffet is what you expect you would get at a buffet. We were fine with it, just added a little salt and pepper, and we were well on our way to stuffing our faces. One night we ate at the steak restaurant, highly recommend that. $35 a person and the food was unreal. Another night we ate at the sushi restaurant. Now that was awesome!!!! We ate almost everything on menu it felt like. 2 bottles of sake later and I was a happy camper that night. So we ate main dining room first two nights and the last for a total of 3. Then one night each in sushi and steak. Think we had the buffet other two nights. All in all, food was good, won't say it was better than Oasis, but it was still good. No complaints there.

Entertainment wise we did the Studio VIP show which was done very well and had you singing all the songs from the 70's. We didn't catch Epic Rock but guy at our table said it was the best show on board. Also did the Hasbro game show and also a comedy show. The reports are right about the comedy lounge. Get there early. We went to the 11:15 pm show and it was full but we got a table. The main theater was never packed from the shows I saw. We aren't big on shows usually but I was happy with what we saw. All shows are short and sweet too so you aren't sitting there for an hour and half.

There were other bars that we didn't even get to experience. The pub and the havana bar, we didn't even get to enjoy them. But that is mainly because we were in the casino. Casino is fine, it got the job done, Dealers are nice. Until they go on a hot streak in black jack!! I didn't do very well but that is my own fault as the more I drank, the less I cared about my money. Stupid, I know. The slots busted me up pretty darn good and normally wouldn't play them as much, but that's what the fiance does. We do smoke and the way they had the slots set up for smoking made no sense. One set of machines was smoking, another set two feet away was not. At that point, with someone smoking two feet away from you in a nonsmoking section, what is the point of having nonsmoking areas. Just my opinion.

To close, it really is a wonderful ship. The people who have been complaining on here are prob life time whiners and it's hard to make them happy. I live a happy life so I don't let stupid things ruin my trip. I would def recommend it to anybody with kids because of the outdoor activities, as well as adults because we do have our own section in serenity. My brother takes his kids on Disney cruises but I've already told him to give this one a shot. It's not to big, not to small, and literally is a brand new ship. I don't really have any real complaints at all. No ship is going to hit your entire wish list of happiness, so my few grumbles are just that, grumbles. Between the ship and the stops in Nassau, St Thomas (my favorite), San juan, and Grand Turk, I couldn't have asked for a better week at sea. Do yourself a favor and try out this beautiful new ship, Carnival Sunshine. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 6123

Our room was close to front part of ship, no complaints about the room.