Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Grammy in NC: Not the value for the money.

Grammy in NC
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Mediterranean Cruises

Not the value for the money.

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Have to agree with many of the reviews posted. There were way too many kids on board!! They ran up and down the hallways until all hour of the morning. They were undisciplined and rude - as were their parents. Do people not realize the walls are paper thin and one can hear everything on either side of them? Is it too much trouble to gently close your door instead of letting is SLAM every time you pass through? All the nicer areas of the open decks were taken up with the Rock Wall, Flow Rider, Mini-golf, kiddie pools, and simulated golf. (Other cruise lines we've been on had lovely sitting and eating areas on the aft deck)

We ate in the main dining room the first two nights and the meals were sub-par. My salmon was so dry I couldn't eat it. My husband is vegan and although we were assured he could find something on the menu, everything without meat was full of cheese and cream sauces. As another poster noted, we ended up in the Windjammer the next two nights and had delicious More and flavorful meals, good selection as long as you could tolerate the feeding frenzy (literally getting pushed aside by said children). We tried the main dining room one more time on the second formal night and I got a lobster ravioli dish that had 3 raviolis in it. My husband ordered the tortellini and artichoke dish that had one piece of artichoke and gobs of ricotta and mozzarella cheese. He didn't eat it. We left there and went to the Windjammer so he could have his dinner - wonderful Asian and Indian vegan dishes. The main dining room staff was wonderful and tried their best, but were monopolized by 1 large table of 10 and another table of obnoxious folks who over-imbibed nightly. I was really annoyed that there was an up-charge of $29.00 if you wanted to get lobster. First time I've seen that on a ship. They work very hard to up-sell you on many things. The cupcake shop costs money, the other restaurants cost a lot of money pp. Crummy beer and wine selection - no decent dark beers.

Our stateroom attendant was wonderful and I was only too happy to supplement the per person daily gratuities for him. They work very hard. There was an obvious maintenance issue as well. The carpets in the stateroom hallways were filthy, although are room was clean. The fitness center had at least 5 machines either out of order or not working properly. The Platinum Theater had several seats where the bottoms just fell out and were sitting on the floor.

The ports were great and we enjoyed our time in the cities. Skip Mt. Vesuvius - it's a waste of time and money. Just a big crater that takes forever to climb up to. Finally, the staff overall didn't seem "happy". There was little energy, more about just going through the motions. Even some of the guest relations staff were "professional" but not really pleasant. Except for a few servers, I felt I was imposing when making a request or asking a question. RCL needs to conduct an internal employee survey and take a look at themselves. Probably won't sail with RCL again. Too many choices out there to settle for mediocre. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>